Accessory Review: TOAST Real Wood Cover for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Jan 24, 2013.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. xNerRadx

xNerRadx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    O.O It's beautiful! I've been using slickwraps. I may have to reconsider...
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I would've thought they would be veneer. However it's too thick to be classified as veneer. I would say shims. Veneer.

If you consider using such a case, I'd recommend the Ash variant because it can take an impact. A little disappointed by their wood selection. Are this cases finished and can you still feel the pores?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Steqheu

Steqheu Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    They are not finished, and you can indeed feel the pores. And yes, obviously veneer.
  5. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    This is disappointing. Dirt and gunk can seep into the pores. They should be filled with pore filler. The case should be protected with a finish or else your just going to have problems later on. It will also further beatify those woods. Veneer is still delicate. Spraying on lacquer or a tough varnish especially on production can be less stressful. However I do seen reasons not to finish it, but this isn't the case. (No pun intended.)
  6. Steqheu

Steqheu Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I prefer the feel of there being no finish. I don't know about you, but I don't typically have a problem with "dirt and grime" because I never place my iPhone down anywhere that would be dirty. And my hands are always clean when using my phone.

The dirtiest place it ever stays is probably my pocket. That said, the pores are not very deep, and I think they add grip if anything. They feel nice.
  7. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    As a Finisher (soon-to-be) I like my wood finished. While you shouldn't really get it dirty, it's still an attractive spot for dirt. Just look at the tip of your (or someone else's) nose. While I cannot tell which kind of walnut this is, walnut usually has mid-sized pores.

Lick the tip of your finger and apply it too a small spot in the case. This is what it should look like with a clear coat. But is there a sheen to be seen on the wood before you even do that?