Accessing the school network...have Proxy, etc, but cannot find server

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 996gt2, Jan 24, 2008.

1. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

I was trying to get on the school's unprotected network (there's a specific "guest" network without password protection to allow laptops to get on)...when I first tried with auto settings for DNS, it could not find server in Safari. I then tried manually entering the proxy and port #, along with the required username and password...however, it still gives me this "No server found" error. Anyone know what the problem might be? I can get to the page in the school's system where it has the internet policy and asks me for the username and password, but after that it cannot find server on any outside web pages like google.com or the such. This guest network works perfectly on wifi equipped laptops, so I have no clue why it's not working on the Touch...any ideas?

Thanks in advance
  2. stu101

stu101 New Member

Hi 996gt2
    Okay quick question when you connect to this network using wifi laptops do u need to tell ur IT department about it? Cos one possible problem may be that they have enabled MAC address filtering. This may mean that you would need to tell the IT department about trying to access the network with ur iPot and they would need to note ur MAC address. Hope this helps
    Stu101
  3. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

There's no need to tell them anything with a laptop...I haven't tried this myself yet (not getting a laptop until this summer, before college starts), but my friends have previously taken laptops to school and were able to access the internet, no fuss, no hassle. That led to my frustration with the Touch when it continued to show the "server not found" errors in Safari.
  4. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

By the way, if I do in fact need to enter a MAC address manually, how would I do so in the iPod Touch? Which menu is this option under? Also, can I just run a MAC detecting program on any of the school's computers and use that MAC address, or do I need to go through specific steps to find what the MAC for the iPod touch should be?
  5. Dummy

Dummy Banned

a MAC address is like a computer's permanent fingerprint. It's not like an I.P. address which most often changes between different networks. Under most circumstances, and I'm sure the iPod Touch and iPhone are no exception, they cannot be changed. However they can be detected on most laptops using different freeware apps.
  6. Nobody-DMZ

Nobody-DMZ New Member

they dont have a VPN do they?
    Google that and it might tell you.
    Always ask the hackers oracle first.
  7. ra3don

ra3don New Member

I can connect to mine at school, i'm sure yours is probably similar, it is unprotected, however hidden.
    Mine is gue55th1s
    for the network name, you could try that, you never know your school could have the same (it spells guessthis that should make it easier to remember)
    but try getting on the school laptops and seeing the network name they connect to and then just use that. worked like a charm for me. Just don't forget you will still have to go through the school's firewall, so the sites you want to look at (since like all the sites are blocked) will probably be prohibited. Good Luck!
  8. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have the same problem as you and I found out that my school's WiFi (the unprotected one) used an authentication (we needed to enter our school username/password) protocol that wasn't supported by the iPod. I entered the proxy settings and all the stuff, the WiFi bar showed full connection but I still wasn't able to go on Internet.

It does suck that I can go YouTube while I'm in my class

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. ipodtoouchhacker

ipodtoouchhacker New Member

any one try using a proxy and yes you can change ur ipods mac address using terminal
  10. PatIsLegend

PatIsLegend New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im having this problem 2...havent tried a proxy yet but i dont think that will matter...im pretty sure its the mac address. how do u change it in terminal? im gonna try changing it to one of the mac addresses of the school computers.