iOS 3.1 Accessing the jailed file system on 3.1?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by studangerous, Sep 15, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I previously used iFunBox to transfer comics to a subfolder under /Photos for viewing in iComic on my jailed iPhone. iFunbox was still working for me on the 3.0 firmwares but the 3.1 update has killed it.

Does anyone know of a way to access the jailed filesystem, i.e. media/photos etc., under 3.1 or any other way to move files in there around? If not I'm resigned to copying files over using the apps internal server feature and an ftp prog, which I would rather not do as it stores them inside the apps own directory.

Thanks.
  2. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Afaik, iFunbox uses the Apple Device Manager daemon installed with iTunes to access the files. If you already updated to iTunes 9 I would guess the problem is with the new iTunes version and not the 3.1 FW.
  3. hacker2021

hacker2021 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No, this would require a jailbroken system unless Apple were to include the Device Manager daemon in the next iTunes update.
  4. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    bah, so Apple left out the Device Manager daemon... thanks for the replies... looks like I'm going back to jailbreaking then after being jailed since my update to 2.2...
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Maybe there is a way. I just remembered that under Linux you can access /var/mobile/media (which also contains the Photos directory) via USB if you mount the iPhone using ifuse. Since Linux does not have the Apple Device Manager daemon, it apparently is not really necessary. Sadly, I cannot test if this method still works for 3.1 since I have not updated yet (I probably will skip this version anyway and wait for 3.11).
  6. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks Ezekeel. I don't use linux so it's no use for me unfortunately, though may be for others. I'll probably just have to resort to jailbreaking again.
  7. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Might I suggest using a different comic program?

Comic Reader Mobi is awesome. The price is steep, but I think it's completely worth it. The application used to sync comics to the device via USB works with the new firmware, and Comic Reader Mobi supports many more file formats than iComic. It also has a much more intuitive interface for reading comics in which you can either zoom at your own discretion like iComic, or you can just tap text bubbles and it automatically sees the text and opens up a small magnification glass so that you can read the text while still viewing the entire page. It also precaches pages, saves bookmarks, etc. All of the features you'd want in a comic reader.

If you really don't want to jailbreak and you want to write comics to the jailed filesystem, Comic Reader Mobi is a great choice and I would recommend the app to anyone. This is coming from someone who used iComic from the very beginning of its development, by the way, and I'm of the opinion that Mobi is a huge upgrade.

Oh, and now that I think about it, the application used for Comic Reader Mobi just may work for iComic as well, if iComic can reach the directories used by Comic Reader Mobi.
  8. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks J Paul. I'll take a look. IS it worth the extra expense though...? I already have myComics and ComicZeal...
  9. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's entirely up to you. I suggest you try their web-based simulator/demo of the app available on their site:

http://comicreader.mobi/

The simulator mimics the functionality of the program pretty well, but keep in mind the real thing is a little different. The magnifying glass on the simulator seems to act weird sometimes but I don't notice anything like that in the full app. You can at least get a good idea of what you're looking at though.

You can also download the comic syncing application from their site for free so that you can see if it will work for other comic programs. I'm entirely unsure if it will at this point, but you could always try before spending your money on something you may not really need.