Accessing SHARED home network Music?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4dthinker, Nov 3, 2007.

1. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

OK, I love my iTouch. Great little computer, with enough capability to keep me entertained probably forever.

But....

I have a few thousand of my own CD songs backed up on a server on my home network. They are all locally SHARED. I have a wireless router. I can access all those songs on any of 6 PCs I have in the house (three wireless) as well as two DirecTV HR20 PVRs and an ancient TIVO.

Does anyone know how to access shared home network files using the wireless network capability of the iTouch? I'd love to be walking around with only my iTouch and be able to play any (and all) the tunes on my network drive without having to actually download them to the iTouch first. With Seeqpod I can find thousands of songs and play them on my touch. It shouldn't require a (potentially) illegal act if all the music I want to hear I already own is available on my home network.
  2. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

What? No one has an answer yet? Bummer.

4D
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm guessing you have a PC? On the Mac there's iPhone Remote which'll give you access to all the files on your computer. I've been able to stream individual music and video files.
  4. defaliz

defaliz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Yes, I'm a PC user. Orb, eh? I'll check it out.

As for apps on my jailbroken itouch many of those I've installed simply don't work. I've uninstalled almost as many as I've installed.

Thanks
    4D
  6. Mouse212

Mouse212 New Member

Also give TVersity a search in Google. Works on a PC and has a great interface designed for the ipod touch. Plus it allows you to "transcode" videos, meaning it converts them on the fly as you watch them. So WMVs etc are not a problem.

I personally didn't find it that useful, but it's clever software and will work with other wireless devices that can browse the internet, such as the PS3 (which also only plays MP4s)
  7. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I learned about webot today, and installed it on my home PC. Then went to mobile.webot.com and logged in and was able to find my home media files. Not too bad. Webot has to be running on your home PC, and you can find your media anywhere you have internet access.

Big irritation is that to find the music Safari has to go out to the webot site, then back to my home server. Of course my internet upload speeds are slow while my home network is fast. As such the music often stops while playing to "catch up" to the download.

So I'm still looking for a local app I can install on my touch that will give me high speed local access to my locally shared music files.

Webot will do fine for when I'm at work and want to access my home files, so long as I've left my home PC on with webot running. I've got a standalone shared media drive on my network that doesn't require any PC to be on, but webot can't find it, unless a PC with webot installed has it listed as a shared network drive.
  8. kevio

kevio New Member

9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Webot has proven to be unreliable. I'll look into Orb and Tversity next. Anyone else with a suggestion?

I'd rather find an app for the iTouch if possible that would let me join my home network workgroup.
  10. Mouse212

Mouse212 New Member

Once you get your head round TVersity you'll love it. The transcoding of divx etc is invaluable and it's done over your network, not the Internet, so it's fast. The fact that it's built for media (rather than general files like Orb) and has a dedicated iPhone/ipot interface makes it perfect for you. You may want to note that the transcoding can be quite sappong on your PC, and ancient computers wont run it as well. You don't need anything special though, an average computer should do the job.