Accessing files on the iPod touch using a Mac.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kill8joy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kill8joy

kill8joy New Member

Has anyone got any info on a Mac app that gains you access to the iPod touch's file system. I found one app, iPhoneDrive, but it was only a demo and it expired.

Can someone please find something for me.

k8j
  2. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    After a jailbreak you can get in just using Cyberduck or other sftp software. There's plenty of jailbreak info on these boards if you look around.
  3. kill8joy

kill8joy New Member

I don't have wireless in my apartment, so I need and app to do it.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There no chance your Mac includes Airport? Many of the new Macs do and you can configure sharing to allow your Mac to five you wireless access. The iMac, Mac mini, MacBooks and Mac Pros all come with it.

Just a thought.
  5. kill8joy

kill8joy New Member

Ok I have a MacBook with AirPort. So how do I get that to work on wy iPod without a wireless router?
  6. Nathan52789

Nathan52789 New Member

I'm trying to do the same thing with mine any help is appreciated
  7. optikalefx

optikalefx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    go in system prefs and find internet sharing

share your ethernet with computers using airport
    find the conneciton on your ipod, and BAM net.

i do it all the time in my dorm where i only have the wired connection.
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Surprisingly enough, my iMac gets better reception for my iPod Touch around the house than my wireless router.

Anyways, here's what you do (at least in Tiger - Leopard should be similar). Go to System Preferences - Select Sharing (under Internet & Network). Go to the Internet tab. Select Share your connection from Built-In Ethernet (at least if you're using a DSL or Cable connection - if you're using a built-in modem, select that). Then select share to computers using Airport. Click on the Airport Options or hit Start Sharing. You'll need to give your network a name and turn on security with a password (if you know what's good for you).

Then go to your iPod Touch, try Safari and enter your password when it finds your network. Should be all set.

Best of luck!
  9. kill8joy

kill8joy New Member

Ok I followed your instructions (brilliant btw), got my iPod to connect to my new network, yet I'm still not able to get an internet connection. Getting an "Unable to connect to server" message.

Any thoughts?
  10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try turning off your WEP password protection (at least temporarily) and see if it works. If it does, you've got a password issue - which is easy to do trying to type a long password on that screen with only dots showing that you've typed something. Might need to go with a shorter WEP password (40-bit rather than 128-bit).

Also make sure you're sharing the right connection (e.g., if you have cable/dsl, you'll probably be sharing your connect from the Built-In Ethernet, etc.) to the right connection (e.g., Airport).

Good luck!