Access "other" files - plz help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pfernand, Oct 11, 2010.

1. pfernand

pfernand New Member

So twice now in the last two weeks I have had a corrupted file of some kind take over massive amounts of space on my new ipod touch. (I am not jailbroken and would rather not go that path).

A normal restore does not get rid of the "other" space.
    I have to do a full reset which loses all of my accounts, all of my game saves etc...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can access the file structure to find and delete these stupid files?
  2. oadam11

oadam11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    when you plugged it in without any data, how much free space did u have?
  3. TouchiPod

TouchiPod Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    im pretty sure "other" is the OS, which can never be removed
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Go into /var/temp (or tmp; I forgot which one it was). If there are files in there, delete them. Avoid deleting folders. This is where a lot of this is... I also think that it is cleared out when you turn off your iPod (hold the power button for two seconds, slide to power off).
  5. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not sure what the "Other" section is on non-jailbroken devices, but it definitely is not the OS. The OS is already taken into account when you upgrade. So if you have an 8GB iPod, then you will only see that you have about 6.8GB on iTunes. Usually on jailbroken devices, that is all the extra content, but I have no clue for non-jailbroken ones.
  6. oadam11

oadam11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    when you plug it in for the first time your free space for 8gb should be 6.5gb. for 32gb it should be 29.09 free space. for 64gb, im sorry idk
  7. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Oh crap... He's not jailbroken... Then restart the device. If that doesn't do it, restore... It is caused by failed syncs (user terminated or connection issues)

BTW, the normal size for other is about half a gig... Give or take some... Increases with jailbreak because all the tweaks are stored here.
  8. pfernand

pfernand New Member

Ugh... thanks for all the super quick feedback!

Sadly I know it is from bad sync files, in this case I even know what caused it.

Re-starting and loading from backups have both been tried to no avail both times. The size just grew a little instead.

Hard restore would probably work but I just did that a week ago and it is a huge pain and it makes me not want to do anything on the touch because I lose any progress i've made.
  9. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why don't you just jailbreak it? You won't notice any drop in speed if you refrain from installing things like Winterboard, etc.