Access Filesystem/Fix From Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spooky655, May 6, 2010.

1. spooky655

spooky655 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a jailbroken iPod Touch 2G 3.1.2.

Last Saturday or Sunday I updated Rock and attempted to update Cydia. A couple dependencies for the new Cydia downloaded and installed, but Cydia failed due to the failed installation of a dependency that had "iPhone" in its name (I don't remember the exact name). I shut off my iPod, thinking I'd figure out the problem later. When I try to boot, the apple logo comes up for a few seconds, then my iPod shuts off.

By using the home and power button, I am able to get my iPod in either recovery or DFU mode. I found that iRecovery is able to detect it in recovery mode.

They is information on my iPod (what songs I have, etc.) that I do not want to lose. iTunes gives me the option for a restore, but I want to recover this information by accessing the filesystem or by fixing my iPod so that it boots properly.

I found a thread about someone fixing their older iPod through recovery mode: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/155761-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-need-extract-data.html

Here is a picture of iRecovery loading: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3977/irecovery.jpg

Is this possible? Can I somehow undo the damage of the update with iRecovery or something similar?
  2. bboymainone

bboymainone Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    same here but i have a iphone 3g 3.1.2 - i did exactly what u did.. an i dont know what to do.. any help would be nice - an if this problem fixable since im expecting some calls.
  3. spooky655

spooky655 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. Master Dover

Master Dover Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well what you can do is download ifunbox or winscp to ssh into your ipod and the just copy all of the files you want to your computer... if you use ifunbox it is very easy just find the music and click and drag it to the desktop then you can put it in your itunes library
  5. spooky655

spooky655 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Correct my if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can SSH your iPod if it's in recovery mode.
  6. Master Dover

Master Dover Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    you should be able to... its at least worth a shot
  7. spooky655

spooky655 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nope. You can't. I wish it were that easy...
  8. Master Dover

Master Dover Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    sorry i couldnt help... did you try putting it into DFU mode first?
  9. spooky655

spooky655 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah. Both DFU mode and Recovery mode. I'm thinking that, if it's possible to fix without restoring, I'll probably have to fix it.

There was a problem with the way cydia updated (mentioned here: http://modmyi.com/forums/cydia-support/708704-cydia-updates-6.html). I need to access the filesystem with something like iRecovery so that I can do what's needed to fix it.