Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Access an iPod Touch's Mass Storage

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by billi1000, Sep 16, 2008.

1. billi1000

billi1000 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How to Access an iPod Touch's Mass Storage​

Introduction:
    This tutorial is confirmed to work on all iPod Touch firmwares as long as it has been jailbroken. (I personally confirm it on firmwares 1.1.5 and under, and for 2.0 I've heard it on other websites that this method works perfectly).

This tutorial is devided into 2 parts:
    -Accessing your iPod Touch mass storage using Cute FTP Proffesional.
    -Assessing your iPod Touch mass storage using WinSCP.

Tutorial:

1) If you haven't jailbroken your iPod, do so because we are going to need many apps from it to work the connection. (A tutorial on jailbreaking can be found here)

2)Go into installer and go into the "All Packages" section. Search for an app named Services and download it to your iPod. Then, go to the "System" section and search for an app named BSD Subsystem and download that too (If you don't find these apps you can go to the "Sources" section and increase you app sources then check if they are available).

3)Go into the Services app and make sure that all is set to ON except the bluetooth should be set to OFF.

4)Download CuteFTP (Found here) or WinSCP (Found here).

PART I (If you chose CuteFTP, continue the tutorial from here):

5) Open CuteFTP and press File > New > SFTP (SSH2) Site ...

6) When you see the new window pop up you have to fill the blanks with the following:

Label:
    Whatever the name of your iPod is on iTunes. I recommend you name it something very simple such as "iPod" for lack of errors (To change the name of your iPod, just go into iTunes, look on the left hand tab under Devices, and double click your iPod's old name to change it).

Host Adress:
    Your IP Adress should go here. To find out your IP Adress, go to the Settings on your iPod, then to WiFi, the when the network your using appears, clikc the little blue arrow next to it. It will take you the the configurations of your network and there's an entry under IP Adress and that'll be the IP Adress your iPod is receiving.

Username:
    root

Password:
    alpine

NOTE : Dont ever try to change the username or password because it won't work, as they are always as i placed the above.

7) Press Connect and you're done! The folders of your iPod Touch should appear on the screen. If you failed to connect the first time, just try connecting again. If the iPod just won't connect review the tutorial making sure you haven't missed a step or made a mistake.

Part II (If you chose WinSCP, continue the tutorial from here):
    5)Open up WinSCP and an entry form will appear. Fill the entry form with following:

Hostname:
    Your IP Adress should go here. To find out your IP Adress, go to the Settings on your iPod, then to WiFi, the when the network your using appears, clikc the little blue arrow next to it. It will take you the the configurations of your network and there's an entry under IP Adress and that'll be the IP Adress your iPod is receiving.

Username:
    root

Password:
    alpine

Private key file:
    Just leave it empty

NOTE : Dont ever try to change the username or password because it won't work, as they are always as i placed the above.

6)Press Login and voila, you're done ! The folders of your iPod Touch should appear on the screen. If you failed to connect the first time, just try connecting again. If the iPod just won't connect review the tutorial making sure you haven't missed a step or made a mistake.
  2. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    this has been known since God created the earth. geez.

NEXT TIME just search "SSH" on this site.
  3. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I agree. Plus, this tutorial is outdated. On 2.0 you need to install OpenSSH from Cydia.

But still, welcome to IPTF ;)
  4. billi1000

billi1000 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i dont really care you say, or if u r a no it all on an ipod, my friend ,also a member on this site, asked my to post him a thread about this and i did just to help him out because he didnt no how to do this , i no this is an old tutorial, but next time think before u try to reply. anyways, not everybody knows how to do this on all programs this is why it is only for cutftp and winscp.
    Please, this is my first day on this site, i did this cause many of my friends got ipod touches and wanted to put games on there ipod/iphone for gpsphone, and they didnt understand or were able to work out any of the tutorials they found on the net. so i made this tutorial for them, and it worked for most of them, its simpler than the one in the SSH section.
  5. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ok! Sorry if I came off sounding a bit harsh.

Welcome to iPTF and thanks for your contribution! :D
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Or you can use DiskAid which does not require you to be Jailbroken and works for Mac OS X and Windows via your USB Cable.

Oh, and it is Free.
  7. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Judging from this post, I'm tempted to say you didn't actually write this guide, which contains "okay" grammar.
  8. billi1000

billi1000 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    no man dont think that way, i m not a person that aims to steal guides of the internet and claim them as my one, i wrote this guide my self. all i found out from an external sources is that u needed an SFTP client to access the folders on your ipod, i got 2 SFTP clients, and tried it, and it worked , so i wrote this tutorial just for my friends, cuz we all baught ipods a couple of days ago and they wanted to place games on them for gpsphone.

anyway i plan on writing more guides but of a much more modern time, well i must say, i no this is a verrryy old method, but now i got firmware 2.1 and i aim to discover much more into it.
    thanx evrybody for ur support , i m still a rookie at this , and thanx for taking in consideration that i just registered from 2 days . :)
  9. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    If your like me and research the living hell out of everything and want to know every little deatil you will learn the iPod touch very quickly. Welcome to the best touch forum ever!!!
  10. intopuddles

intopuddles New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    God this kid's shorthand is soo annoying.