Accesing internet without wifi...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aLlamaWithARifle, Aug 14, 2009.

1. aLlamaWithARifle

aLlamaWithARifle New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I want to be able to make my computer able to send a wireless signal to my ipod touch so that my computer acts as a wireless router and then my ipod touch connects to it and can use it's internet.

My computer at the moment is wired so I assume I need something to send the signal such as a wireless usb dongle or a wireless network card.

But I'm looking for a more step by step guide on how to do this for windows.
  2. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why not buy a router? It's much easier in the long run.
  3. tom51293

tom51293 New Member

Almost impossible to do that on Windows. If you run linux and have the right wireless card you can do it fairly easily.
  4. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    watch this tells you haw to do it on widows. you do probably need to buy a usb dongle or pci adapter though.

cnet
  5. mashom

mashom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    www.codejunkies.com
    purchase wifimax this work as router too just plug usb wifimax and your computer will share your internet wirelessly.
  6. JebNY

JebNY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Takes about 15 seconds to setup on a Mac. Tried setting it up on a PC, which I was told was possible, and gave up after 2 hours. All the right words are there on a PC I just couldn't make it work. This is assuming the computer already has a WiFi card or built in.

Jeb
  7. The7thWitness

The7thWitness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how can u check if it has a wifi card?
  8. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you can connect to the internet wirelessly you have a wifi card, if you can connect only via ethernet (or dial up...) then you do not have a wifi card.
  9. Mz8691

Mz8691 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    this is funny. lol... you need somesort of wireless adapter... can get one for like $20-40
  10. JebNY

JebNY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If it is a desk top PC it probably doesn't have a WiFi card inside or built in. If it is a Mac it might and you can check the Network System Preference. If it is a lap top Mac or PC made in the last few years it probably has WiFi built in.

The USB WiFi adapters can be bought cheap, the last one I bought was $10. $20-30 are everywhere. If you have a PC most/all of them will work, for a Mac be sure there are drivers available, there are several compatible adapters.

Jeb