Accelerometer Issues?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Markleshark, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Markleshark

Markleshark New Member

So basically, sometimes it doesn't work. When I tilt the iPod touch on it's side, sometimes there is a huge delay on switching to Coverflow mode (Or turning the web page, depending on what I'm doing) and other times it doesn't work at all.

Sometimes however, it works fine. I have tried restoring and it works for a while, then goes funny again. Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. applecollector

applecollector New Member

yep this is happening for me too, i have many reports on this over the last day or so. Aparently if you keep it upright and then tilt it, it will work but even then not always. The next update should correct this issue.
  3. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

i think it depends on the angle you are holding it. if you hold it parallel to the ground and then rotate it doesnt kick in. If you hold it so the screen is not facing towards or away from the ground, or perpendicular to the ground it works fine. I dont know if they can fix it with software, but i think it has something to do with the positioning of the accelerometer inside the ipod and i have a feeling there is nothing that can be done. Just make sure you are holding it close to a good angle when you rotate it and it should work fine.
  4. SoFellLordPerth16

SoFellLordPerth16 New Member

the screen needs to rotate down, not turning(like spinning on a table) acceleramators work on gravity
  5. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

try to rotate and shake in the direction it suppose to be on, e.g. if you want landscape mode, rotate the ipot and then shake up and down.
  6. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

very good. turning the ipod with it parallel to the ground will do nothing because it is an accelerometer, not a gyro. it is the same thing as the Hard drive sensor in the Apple laptops and even the same as the WiiMote.

hold the ipod with the bottom facing down and rotate it, you should see INSTANT results.
  7. Markleshark

Markleshark New Member

Yeah, the angle I was holding it at was the problem. I guess thats what you get with your first Apple 'touch' product.

Thanks for the replies tho.
  8. Beemer

Beemer New Member

I've noticed it won't switch back to up and down when I am on the side in safari...some other times its a little slow to detect it.

Edit: well..I thought it did anyways..I just used it a while ago and it rotated fine.
  9. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Sometimes, when i put my iPod on a table or flat surface, it goes into coverflow.

Kinda annoying, but nothing throwing it halfway across the room doesn't solve.

...kidding.
  10. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

mine does that too, i simply pick it up and turn it to remedy the problem, but i suppose acting like a derranged mental case and tossing 300/400 bux into a wall does the trick too

Please Register or Log in to view images