Abstract art program

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by jabbado, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys.

I'm writing a program that creates abstract art from mathematical expressions and genetic algorithms. Just wondering if anyone here is interested in a program like this for creating abstract backgrounds etc. It's not quite finished yet. But you can see some early samples at the following galleries. Let me know what you think.

Gallery #1
    Gallery #2
    Gallery #3
  2. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Wow that's cool as I really want.
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

wow thats interesting. Those images look like a mix of retro abstract art and an itunes visualizer.
  4. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I changed the program to create multiple image layers just like in Photoshop, but where the layer properties such as opacity and blend mode are also evolved.
    Gallery Link
  5. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Awesome. I'd want a program like this.
  6. BWG707

BWG707 New Member

That's pretty cool stuff. At first I thought it would look more like fractal art.
  7. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I will be adding basic fractals (IFS and things) to the list of functions. But first I'm working on image support. This will hopefully allow you to import say an image of text as a sort of mask and have it "GEPified".

BTW, GEP stands for Gene Expression Programming. Originally the program was just a knock-off of Karl Sims' work with expression trees, to teach myself c#. Results were good (there are some galleries at my picasa page). But that has some limitations when it comes to what genetic operators can be used. Borrowing ideas from GEP though, the images are encoded in a multi-genic chromosome, with each gene encoding a single expression tree. Since the chromosome is linear practically any classic genetic operator can be thrown at it. But it gives other benefits which are my secrets for now

Please Register or Log in to view images

I should have something for you all to play with in the next few days. I need to convert it to a bucket renderer first, since it often consumes nearly 200MB just rendering a 640x480 image, lol.
  8. Buzzard267

Buzzard267 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This is really amazing. I can't wait to try it out!

BTW, just out of curiosity, is it free?

9. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah for now. Like I said this started as a project to teach myself c# and is sort of a proof of concept right now. But that may change in the future

If only I could get off my lazy butt and start a blog about it though...