absolute confusion with dual booting mac and windows. please help!!!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by steve19137, Aug 7, 2009.

1. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

ive searched everywhere for something on how to do this, and the best ive come up with is this. i want to dual boot my vista. its for my brother and sister. they play lots of 3d games and such, and half of them crash my vista. so i found a work around to this, but it requires a mackintosh or anything of the like. i thought that a dual boot would be best since i use the vista for a few things, and i dont want my siblings to ruin my things any further. so im downloading the thing from the above link (not included) and im at the part where i need to shrink my vista partition. it only gives my 32MB to shrink. and ive tried everything to get it to empty out. and it says i have 50 out of 80GB empty! so what do i do to shrink this drive. and i would like to have the mac partition to be as big as possible.
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ive spent many hours trying to get this to work, my advice is if u r having a problem this early then its gonna be even harder later
  3. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

well, thats not cool. will a clean install of windows do anything?
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This.

If you can't even make a partition, you are NEVER going to be able to install OS X.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    +1 to that.

OP: If cannot figured out how to partition, then you most likely don't even know how to start.

Do you know how compatible your hardware is? What Distro to use? If there a drivers and kexts for your machine?
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol i had no errors up to the point of booting into the installer, my laptop is screwed and i just got a never ending flashing cursor
  7. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

i figured it out! i grabbed iATOKS (or whatev) and i wiped and partition the drive, reinstalled windows on my smaller partition, then i tried to install the system, but i failed. so i used iDeneb, and im at the library right now, so ill post how it goes when i get home. ive also decided to remove the windows partition if possible (i doubt it), so i can have all mac on my pc. but i think ill need windows so i can have the bootloader with its mods and such. im using easyBCD to get the boot right. i plan to only use the windows in the case the i need to have a windows application to make the dual boot run. but i think i got it. ill try it when i get home.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    also, when i get the config right, i want to triple boot linux. is that recommended, or should i just vm linux on my mac w/ parallels?
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

Theres no reason to triple boot linux, mac, and vista. It only wastes memory on your hard drive. Plus you can run pretty much any os on mac with VM (you can on vista too, but in my experience leopard's VM is more stable than vista's)
  9. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Linuxes VM is also very stable?