iOS 3.1 About to jailbreak 3.1.3... Just have a couple quick questions.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MoJojojo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. MoJojojo

MoJojojo Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 2nd Jen iPod Touch and I sorta stepped away from jailbreaking for a while, but now I'm gonna go back to it.

1. Right now I am on 3.1.3. What program will I need to jailbreak it? I'm on Mac by the way.

2. Will I need to restore my iPod in order to jailbreak it? If so, once it is jailbroken, whenever there is a new firmware out and I want to upgrade to it(obviously once it is hacked and whatever) will I have to restore again?
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. redsn0w

2.dont need to restore, if a new firmware comes out dont upgrade until a jb comes out for it.
  3. MoJojojo

MoJojojo Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Are you absolutely sure? Because I remember back in the day when you needed to restore everytime you jailbreak, and I really do not want to do that, I have too much music and not enough patience. I'm pretty sure jailbreaking involves DFU mode, and doesn't that lead to restoring?
  4. apple10

apple10 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
  5. MoJojojo

MoJojojo Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 32gb 2nd Gen. It wasn't an MC model...

And I jailbroke it a different way. I had 3.1.3 right. So I downloaded 3.1.2 for my specific iPod, then in iTunes on my iPod's page thing, I held down OPTION(or on a PC it would probably be SHIFT) and clicked "Check for update." I found the 3.1.2 fw that I downloaded to my desktop, clicked on it, and I guess it downgraded me from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 in iTunes. Then I used blackra1n and jailbroke. It took like >10minutes, no restore and none of my apps were lost. This is so much easier than back in the 2.x jb days.