About to buy an iPad- Questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakeMan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So sometime this week I'm buying an iPad. I have my mind set on the 16GB WiFi + 3G model. Storage is the least of my worries, so I only need 16GB. As far as accessories go, I have a few questions:

1. I plan on getting the Apple case for the iPad. Is this a good case? I don't really care for one of those rubbery back covers, nor do I want something like a ZAGG full shield. The Apple case seems like a very good all around case and I've seen good reviews for it.

2. I also plan on getting a screen cover. What kind should I get? I really like anti-glare displays, but I've heard that they make the iPad display look pixelated. Should I go for the normal ZAGG screen shield, or anti-glare? I'm having Best Buy install it for me; I'm not risking imperfection

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Should I get anything else for it? What other accessories are useful/handy to have? I don't see myself having any use for them. I'm not planning on buying anything.

4. Best Buy Warranty- go or no go?

Thanks everyone for your input

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    1. Don't buy that case. It will come in Black and be brown in a matter of seconds. Otherwords it gets dirty easily.

2. Not sure.

3. Keyboard, camera kit, dock.

4. No go. Apple Warranty.
  3. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i personally think you should wait until the next one, which will most likely come out in January.. but if you really want it now, get it now i guess
  4. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You may want to consider if you really want a 3g model. We have three ipads with one being 3g and I never used 3 g after the first month.
  5. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have been, 3G might be a waste since I don't have any actual daily need for it.
  6. vahnx

vahnx Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I bought a Wifi 16GB recently and I ordered a case w/ stand + screen protector on eBay (only really wanted the case). Once a jailbreak comes out for 3.2.2, I feel like my needs are met. I'd say skip the 3G, get 16GB model, and get a case w/ stand.
  7. jtrosky

jtrosky New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I agree about the Apple case - stay away. It get dirty and can't be cleaned. There are plenty of leather cases that are the same style as the apple case on Ebay for $35-$40. They are leather, so you can just wipe them off. I have one and love it (put the Apple case back in the box and never touched it again)!

I also have the WiFi-only version and I have an iPhone through work, so I setup MyWi on the iPhone for the rare instances I need 3G access (MyWi allows your iPhone to share it's 3G connection with up to 8 wifi devices - it basically turns your iphone into a wifi hotspot). I find that I rarely use it though. I usually use the iPad at home, the office or somewhere where there is wifi access anyway.

I would save the money on the 3G version and put it towards more stoarge - you can never have enough storage! Especially when you store movies, etc on the iPad.
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    1) Nice choice. It gets dirty easily, but in my opinions, the Apple case is the absolute best and most practical case out of all of the choices you have out there. It's light, it's thin, it's simple, you can prop it up to type faster, and it doesn't get it the way while you are holding the device. That's all that should matter. Those who say that the Apple case sucks really never tried ot use the iPad while lying on their side on the bed, I believe. I have many other cases, including the infamous DODOCase... and I just can't hold them that well since they always have an extra layer of "fat" around the back. If you though the iPad was large, wait until you put it inside those other cases. Save for the protective shells. I don't think any book case is as practical and as easy to hold as the Apple case.

2) No screen protector is the way, I think. The iPad's screen is insanely scratch-resistant. I have used mine for more than 6 months without any screen protector, and I never found any scratch on it. Not even a hairline one. The legibility under sunlight is also great if you have a white background and you tilt the device slightly toward the suns rather than toward yourself. But you need to clean the screen regularly since it gets smudged really fast. Try a lint-free microfiber cloth. You can find those at OSH.

3) No extra accessory. They'll just stack up on your cost. In fact, get a Targus stylus and be done with it. It's the best one out of all of those I have tried, and I got it from my local Best Buy, too.

4) Dealing with Apple is easier than dealing with Best Buy... enough said, eh?
  9. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Best Buy warrenty kills apples hands down, go with the second choice for the warrenty it covers accidental damage
  10. jtrosky

jtrosky New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Regarding screen protectors - I chose an anti-glare protector for my iPad. I wasn't really worried about actual protection (the case I have protects the screen when not used), but the glare of the iPad drove me crazy. Not all anti-glare protectors are equal either - some make the screen look really pixelated and so do not. I've heard good things about Power Support. I got lucky and got some off Ebay for cheap that work great (customer service was horrible though). Also, I got SPeck anti-glare for my father and he really likes it (I haven't seen it personally yet). Not only do good anti-glare protectors help with the glare issue, they also help with the fingerprint issue!