About this Untethered Jailbreak...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The Killswitch, Mar 15, 2009.

1. The Killswitch

The Killswitch Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Okay, I have a tethered jailbroken iPT, 2G. And I want to upgrade and turn this thing into a fully untethered iPod.

I also spent quite a bit of time customizing my own theme into Winterboard, in its own folder and everything.

I understand that going through the untethered process will wipe all of my music, apps, and everything. That's fine, because I can just sync it back later on.

However, will this also affect my Cydia downloads? Will I have to start from scratch, re-download those apps, and build my theme all over again?

I'd like to be able to do this, if possible, without SSH. Otherwise I know I can copy the folder on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.
  2. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

if you flash the nor only, you will be able to save everything.
    you will not lose anything. you will go from tethered to untethered so easily.
    redtool can do this for you (although i am not sure if the bugs have been worked out)
  3. iSaint

iSaint New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you can save your theme via SSH

essentially you can save all of your themes that you have on winterboard by copying them through SSH onto your hardrive or USB

however all your Cydia sources and Installer sources will be wiped clean

make sure you have space to spare before you start the process because you'll be making a new firmware with the new untethered jailbreak (it's not that much, but because I didn't have enough space it became a hassle before I finally got it)
  4. The Killswitch

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I see. As my post explained, I had hoped that I could preserve my theme as is. But it looks like I'll be forced to SSH, like I suspected. Thanks.

I really hate how you need wifi for SSH...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, I heard NOR'ing is unsafe.
  5. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

how is it unsafe?
  6. The Killswitch

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    It's just what I've heard. I don't know anything about it, to be honest.
  7. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

oh ok. good to know

Please Register or Log in to view images

i think im staying tethered lol
  8. The Killswitch

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Well, it's no problem if you have wifi, and can easily access SSH.
  9. Finite Vendetta

Finite Vendetta New Member

Um, it's not unsafe LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about, it's simple and fast and safe...I've done NOR Only restores...about..10times now and I haven't encountered any problems. Just use RedTool...it's seriously not that hard or unsafe at all.
  10. Flamey87

Flamey87 New Member

I had a normally tethered iPod, and wanted to do a NOR-only flash to untethered, so I used this guide. As long as you can pull it off properly, everything works out fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGHlIdXdto

Download the NOR-only ipsw, restore ipod with a normal 2.2.1 restore, CANCEL THE RESTORATION THROUGH CTRL+ALT+DEL>PROCESSES>ITUNES.EXE, after the "Extracting Software..." finishes. Your iPod should be in recovery mode, but with a 'usb connecting to iTunes' logo on it (the Touch's screen). If it isn't, shut down the ipod, and turn it back on, or try putting it into DFU mode. After it you get the logo, go to iTunes, then shift+restore using the NOR-only ipsw you just downloaded.

Your iPod should then be untethered. It worked like a charm for me, and was the quickest NOR-only method I could find.