About the SDK coming up...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by upd, Jan 17, 2008.

1. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I am thinking of all the legal issues this will create. I am personally worried that all the free apps I am getting on my jailbroken touch won't be free any longer. Soon we'll start to see trial versions, etc. Is anyone else worried about this?

Not to mention, if people do sell their software, how is it going to be regulated? By something like a CD key? Someone could just copy and distribute it and businesses would lose money. I see many headaches coming in the future that go along these ideas.

More input is welcome. Btw, this is the first thread that I have started

Please Register or Log in to view images

-Matt
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There's no worry about it: Many if not most of the apps developed via the SDK will cost money and be sold through iTunes. The "regulation" will be via digital signing through apps submitted to Apple for this purpose. As with anything (other than iTunes Plus songs) sold through iTunes they will be wrapped in Apple's DRM, so you won't be able to just give it to other people. This digital signing will almost certainly cost money, which is why it is likely most of the apps will too. Plus, Apple only takes a 30% cut, which is a pretty good incentive for developers to write games -- they get a pretty good return. Also, Apple has set a maximum price on apps of $6.99, and on widgets of $2.99.

That's not to say that there won't be free apps; Apple's SDK does provide for free apps and widgets, so I am sure that the open-source and free software community will dig into it as well, as long as they're willing to pony up for the digital signature.

That's also not to say that existing devs who have written many excellent apps for our jailbroken Touches will start charging, either. I am sure that most if not all of the free apps will stay that way if they happen to ever be ported over to the SDK.
  3. Acerei

Acerei New Member

I truly like the idea of SDK's and I also don't like it at the same time.
    Why I like it, is that my iPod can be legal, and there would be more developers making great games.
    What I don't like is how it might end up costing a fortune, my unique iPod will no longer be unique (cause everyone at school will buy games, cause their parents spoil them silly) and the emulators will most likely be gone.

Truth is, I like jailbreaking because it makes me, as an iPod owner, feel special. All the fat silly rich kids at my school have a touch (may I also mention their touchs have about 200 songs, 3 videos (short) and no applications... and they are all 16gb) are not smart enough to jailbreak their ipods (to 1.1.2) and end up having just an iPod. Now when i show up with my jailbroken iPod, they immediately get jelous, and i can finally say that "money can't buy brains". Although, thats not fully true.

Just my two cents....

(oh and 100th post)

EDIT: Please note, that I did save up my own money to get my iPod, without any parental help. This was neither a Christmas gift.
  4. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i just hope the offical SDK can coexist on our ipods with the current jailbroken 3rd party scene. aka, i hope not too many of our current devs 'jump ship'.

in regards to feeling unique, that won't be an issue. i'm actually quite discreet when i use my ipod. more concerned of someone trying to steal it than trying to make people turn green. the jailbreak has allowed me to be much more productive with it...at no cost. turned it into a great investment.

5. Acerei

Acerei New Member

Bindle, I agree with you fully, when you speak of turning the iPod into a great investment. I do the same. I would like to point out, i am discreet too, I only show it to the right people. If anything was to happen to me, the consequences brought upon them would be horrenderous(sp?).
    I open the world of "Touch" to the students at my school, I show them the full capabilities that the touch is capable to. Because we all know, its not just an MP3 anymore...
  6. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

Think of the iPod touch as a computer, and give hope that the SDK will be the new legal jailbreak
  7. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep, there is freeware produced for every other mobile platform with official SDKs - Microsoft's windows mobile has a booming, healthy freeware and open source development community, along side the shareware and commercial operations.

It's all up to Apple.

* free SDK
    * distributable (I call these self-signed, but however they do it) apps

Those can co-exist with the apps distributed via iTunes. It's no different then the media support where you have
    * mp3s - no DRM, freely copied via iTunes application
    * AAC - no DRM, freely copied via iTunes application
    * Fairplay AAC - DRM (limited/no copying and only through iTunes Store/Account)

We're only really screwed if they don't provide for a non-iTunes Store distribution channel.
  8. sonia1234321

sonia1234321 New Member

the world is coming to an end.

lets just hope everybody doesnt turn into little greedy bastards

but if i make apps, i will always keep them free

9. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There will always be greedy bastards, bastards feeding their families, and bastards who like to give away what they make because they find the work "fun" and can feed their families in other ways.

We should be petitioning Apple to not be evil. But instead we're begging for some $20 apps. Sad but true.
  10. parabrand

parabrand New Member

What are your sources for the charge breakdown?