about passcode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dellromero, Jan 1, 2008.

1. dellromero

dellromero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys, i need to know if I assigned a passcode on my touch , will it be safe from someone else trying to restore it? The reason I ask is because I partied a lil hard last night and lost my touch. i just got a new one and jailbroke it. I installed customize.app and change the main slider string to my cell number and also change the power off string to "call # if found". I know I should have never brought it with me but hey lesson learned. i might even change the slider image to my own picture to prove its mine.
  2. linds

linds New Member

No, it doesn't stop someone from restoring it but even after restoring, all your data is essentially gone anyway.
  3. dellromero

dellromero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    that sucks. I thought there would be more protection than that when someone loses an Ipod. At least if one cannot restore the touch without knowing the passcode. It'll make them return it to the owner or call Apple to see who the registered user so it can be returned.
  4. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    why not just call Apple and say "hey, my ipod was stolen" they should be able to track it if you registered your serial number when you first got it.
  5. vanhalenfanrob

vanhalenfanrob New Member

ever seen dateline nbc they did a story and setup a sting operation on stolen ipods all it took was a simple program when the ipod is registered or tried to and they can tracked it,
    even though the idiots registered there names and address, but still apple could do the same thing on an even higher scale but they wont and they dont even try to

i saw an ad for a flash drive that has a certain protection where if it is lost or stolen the thing will self destruct rendering it useless and all your data safe from thieves they should put that in ipods cause if it gets lost or stolen your not likely to get it back

Link to Story and video
  6. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

I have my iPod to set passcode after an hour, when I tried to sync / connect to my computer before it could even open itunes it asked me to unlock it before I could use it... Obviously this won't work if a force restore happens...