Ability to play other video files than Mp4 or H.264?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xs220, Jan 8, 2008.

1. xs220

xs220 New Member

I was browsing my ipod's files today and i found this folder:/System/Library/VideoDecoders.
    anyone knows of new codecs? or tried to put a codec in there?

the files in there are:
    H264H1.videocodec & MP4VH1.videocodec.

and those are exactly the only ones the Ipod Touch will play?

For now.....??
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Correct. (Video-capable) iPods have always only been able to play H.264 videos. However, one person is already working on a DivX player for the iPod, and apparently Core Player (formerly known as TCPMP) has also been ported to the iPhone/Touch, which supports numerous different formats, including DivX/XviD. Core Player is a commercial product, though.
  3. xs220

xs220 New Member

well it does not matter if it is commercial that's where i got Usenet acces for^^
  4. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

I put all the codecs from the TCPMP ( The Core Player Media Player ) in there and nothing happen. If you find out post it here. Posted this about 2 months back. See if you can find it. I still have all the codecs in a folder on my desktop.
  5. xs220

xs220 New Member

there is no such thing as a Core PLayer for ipod touch yet...
    any forum/site where i can follow the guy whos developing the Divx codec?
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I believe codecs are OS-specific, so you won't be able to take them from one OS and put them on another.
  7. denoipod

denoipod New Member

there has to be a way to do this even if you have to encode it on the fly. If you can install a browser that can stream the video that would probably be the best way to go rather then trying to get this ipod OS to encode foriegn video formats. Can podzilla be installed on the touch and does it display other video formats.
  8. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

yeah , I figured this out when it didn't work. I have TCPMP on my WM6 Pocket PC. I have all the codecs available for this Player in a folder.
  9. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, Podzilla/iPod Linux can't be installed right now. Don't forget that in order to use it, the guys who put Podzilla together would need to somehow emulate the multi-touch functionality that the MacOS X on the iPod Touch already recognizes and uses. You have to have a layer to deal with that new interface...

As for the codecs, I'm sure people and companies will be porting them. You can't just copy them in from other operating systems any more then you could use Flash for Windows on the Mac. Of course the real challenge is to port the codecs in such a way as that they provide good performance on a mobile platform with limited processor power (412MHz) and memory (about 120MB or so including the OS), along with good battery performance.