ABC of Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sagar13, Jun 5, 2009.

1. sagar13

sagar13 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys out there,

I purchased iPod Touch 2G 16GB (ver 2.2.1) a week ago and am bored of it already!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

The jerks haven't put in any game or any interesting app in it......its like waste of such a great technological craftsmanship!!The thing is, I haven't jailbroken it yet.

Actually I have no idea about this jailbreaking thing. I did google it, but got more and more confused as I moved from one post to another. All I know is that jailbreaking unlocks your ipod and then you can put in 3rd party apps into it.That's it. But guys, please help me with the following:

1.What's untethered and tethered jailbreaking? which one is better? and how to do it?

2.What is DFU mode? What's its use? How many more modes are there?

3.Once jailbroken, does syncing stuff into iPod takes place the usual way, i.e via iTunes, or I can't use iTunes once I jaibreak it? Also, i read somewhere that new new iTunes update may be dangerous to jailbroken iPods...any clues?

4.Once jailbroken, then can I put apps into my iPod directly from computer, or do i need WiFi set-up (I don't have one yet!). Is it possible to put in apps directly from computer as well (via some hacking technique)?

5.Once jailbroken, can I update my iPod normally (via iTunes->iPod->update), or there's some other hack for update as well?

6.Once jailbroken, can i undo this? via restoring factory setting?Or is it done forever?

7.If I update to a newer version after jailbreaking it, do I need to jailbreak it again? Or is it already jailbroken even after update?

8.If there's anything else i need to know about iPod hack/Jailbreaking, please let me know.

phew!!

I want an advice from you people: Should I jailbreak it now or wait for the 3.0 update which will unlock the bluetooth feature (after paying 10 bucks) and then jailbreak it. Any suggestions/advices are most welcome.

P.S: you don't have to answer all the questions right now. You can answer one by one....I'll learn slowly. Or you can tell me anything in regard to this.

Any help will be grateful.

2. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    once u jailbreak, you can undo it by doing a full restore

DFU mode is a function built into the hardware of every ipod touch to enable it to be always able to restore no matter once, it is activated by pluggin your ipod into pc and then resetting by holding the home and power button and then holding the home button for 10 seconds after

After you jailbreak u can still use itunes just liek you do now

however if u want to upgrade the firmware, you will have to restore, update, ad then rejailbreak

It is possible to put apps and other files directly onto your ipod using a technique called SSH there are some methods done over wifi and some done directly conencted to the computer

Jailbreaking is really easy and unlocks the full potential of ur device, you have nothing to worry about just hurry up and do it!
  3. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Jerks?

Tethered meant you had to connect your iPod to the computer and run Patches just to reboot it. Untethered means you can reboot it whenever you feel like.

To do it Download Redsn0w 0.3 and run it.

Device Firmware Upgrade Mode, it is used to Upgrade the firmware on the iPod. There is also recovery mode.

You can still use iTunes like before, iTunes can not tell if you are Jailbroken or not

It is just easier to use iTunes to sync your apps

If you Update your iPod while Jailbroken the update will delete the Jailbreak, so wait for a jailbreak for the new software version before you update

Yes, you can undo a jailbreak by doing a restore

Already been answered above

4. theiflord180

theiflord180 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    about the tethered untethered thing, you said that "Tethered meant you had to connect your iPod to the computer and run Patches just to reboot it. Untethered means you can reboot it whenever you feel like."

so..to put ur ipod to sleep, u have to plug it into ur computer? or to reboot ur computer u have to plug in ur ipod? huh?
    but anyway, i'm guess untethered is better. however, which is safer?

thanks
  5. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    To reboot your iPod you had to connect your iPod to the computer and run patches

Untethered is much safer
  6. sagar13

sagar13 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ahh...very well....finally something is getting into my mind! thanks a lot people.

one thing....what's this Redsn0w 0.3?
  7. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. Skeptikal

Skeptikal New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    jerks didnt put games on? hahah i bought my ipod n the "jerks" at the store only put on music, videos, calender, stocks, photos, settings, app store, itunes,calculator, maps, mail, safari, weather, youtube, contacts n a clock wat jerks?
  9. sagar13

sagar13 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

) was just kidding up there....wen i saw the promo video pf ipod touch 2G, it said..."The funnest ipod ever"...i saw Steve Jobs playing a game on it...i was so much exited....but as it turns out, its no more a fun for me (without being jailbroken). its been 8 days now since i bought it, and am already bored....those ipod guys must have put atleast 2-3 games....as it was there in ipod classic....anyways i am planning to jailbreak it now, but before that a few more questions:

what is QuickPwn, PwnageTool, and iPhone Tunneling Suite?

and wats this yellowsn0w thing? same as redsn0w or better? how many more sn0ws are there?

and should i jailbreak it now? or shud i wait for 3.0 update....also i have been reading that itunes 8.2 update will cause problems for jailbroken ipods...any idea about this?
  10. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Quickpwn and Pwnagetool are tools to Jailbreak the 1st gen iPod touch and the iPhones. iPhone Tunneling Suite is an SSH progream

Yellowsn0w is the iPhone 3G software unlock. There are 3 sn0ws, yellowsn0w, redsn0w, and bluesn0w (bluesn0w was not made by the dev team)

We have no idea when 3.0 is going to be out, it could be out at WWDC, or it could be out later in the summer. It is up to you if you want to Jailbreak. iTunes only causes problems with Jailbreaking the other three iDevices.