AAC format! Best thing ever!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hunid Racks, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

I put 4GB of music on my video nano, I decided to spend a long time in my iTunes converting all of that from mp3 to AAC format, that 4GB turned in 2.2GB! Almost half the space and sounds just as good! So for those of you not sure if you will have enough space on a 8GB touch, select all the stuff you want to put on it and right click and select "Convert Selection to AAC".
    The easiest way to pick those convertions out if to go to your /Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/folder and slam all of those converted albums into a new playlist and onto your ipod from there

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just a friendly tip for those who didn't know, myself just finding out about it and being very excited

Please Register or Log in to view images

(AAC is a new music compression format that iTunes can read and so can your iPod, it can match 192kbps mp3 audio at 128kbps AAC format, being a smaller bit rate the size of each file is reduced by a long shot, sounding just as great as the bigger sized formats.)
  2. linds

linds New Member

What you just did was transcode all your music to another format. You went from one lossy format (mp3) to another. This is NOT good for sound quality and you actually probably degraded the quality of all your songs. If you don't notice it though.. then well, whatever.. it's not a huge deal then. But it's not a good practice.

What you should have done was go from original source (like the CD) to AAC.
  3. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

Sounds good to me. Most of my mp3's were 192kbps to 256kbps rips, basically cd quality.
  4. Trailryder

Trailryder New Member

I'm starting to do the same thing, but I have so much music it takes iTunes a long time to convert them to AAC. Was wondering if there's a good batch convert program I can use that would be faster.
  5. thomasw4138

thomasw4138 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    192 and 256 kbps rips are CD quality to you?
    CD has much better qualities
  6. phar///md

phar///md New Member

^^Like he said. Quality won't improve since your "source" is in lossy format (MP3)...not worth the time or effort. Redo them from the original CD. That's why I still buy CDs, not iTunes downloads.
  7. simian

simian New Member

Or you can download Flac files and convert that to what ever format at what ever compression you like. Thus skipping the nesecity for CD's
  8. elrey23

elrey23 New Member

If it sounds good to you then don't listen to anyone else. Most people fancy themselves audiophiles but in reality they aren't even close. I'm not an audiophile but I know what sounds good to me
  9. BMANZZS

BMANZZS New Member

I'm personally not an audiophile. I can tell the difference between a 320kbps, 256kbps, and a 128kbps song, but I think 128kbps is just fine.

see for yourself: http://mp3ornot.com/
    1 person likes this.
  10. simian

simian New Member

I Think it all depends on what equipment you listen to MP3'S on

if Im listening on my Denon HIFI its important to get the best quality I can because differences are noticible especially in bass frequencies below 320kbps.

But on my PC speakers it doesnt make a difference really because the equipment doesnt play those frequencies.