AA Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by flashcus, May 22, 2008.

?

Would you like an external battery charger?

1. YES!!!!!!!!

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Yes, but only if it is not higher than 15 GBP or $30

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. No, it would have to be cheaper than £15 or $30

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. NO WAY!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    A while ago i designed a 4 AA battery charger with a switch and LED that works at 5V for any device that requires USB charging (including 'touch + iphone). I have made the prototype (originally i just made it for personal use) but now i think it would benefit others. In the next couple of weeks i will do some tests with battery life. I just want to know if this is a good idea and would it sell. I was thinking i would sell it for between 10 and 15 GBP thats $20-30. Probably more like 15 GBP if i include batteries.

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is it. The soldering is rubbish - did it in less than 5 mins as i just got back from fixing someones rubbish PC and wanted to do it fast. As you can see it is bones because i have no enclosure and again, i did it in 5 mins. Just wanted to show that it does work... The battery pack is underneath my board and i am using tesco value zinc chloride batteries 1.5v and £1.30 for 8...Thats how cheap i am. I am yet to test it with 1.2v rechargeables but i'm hopeful that it will work. More updates soon!

Tell me what you think...
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice idea but they do already exist remember.
  3. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree they do exist, but not very many that include charging for the ipod touch. Also i think my price is cheap...i may even be able to lower it.
  4. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well of course!

But I know for a fact that the parts for something such as this cost a total of around £2-£3, or even less if you shop around (not inc batteries) so you can alter your price depending on how much profit you want

If you sold them for a fiver then youd get people interested I think.
  5. nikeair

nikeair New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    That would be nice. Most of the ones that exist only have 2 AA batteries. It would be nice to have one with 4.

6. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok i don't agree with the 2-3 quid. I don't want to go into detail about the parts but there is an enclosure, obviously a battery holder, usb port, led switch. I think it comes to around 5-6 quid ex batteries so i think £10 without batteries or maybe 8 or something and a few more for batteries included.

Plus the need for shipping so i reckon about £15 maybe a bit more for posting to the USA including batteries. I havn't quite worked it out yet...

It's a working progress but i should have at least 10 final prototypes made in the next few weeks. Then, if the need is high, i will mass produce it. And by mass i mean hundreds rather than thousands. Touchmods have been very successful and their product costs about £6 maybe less to make inc parts.

If the need isn't great, i could sell 10 to some of my friends for 20 so theres an easy £140 profit

7. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    You need to get your parts somewhere else then

Youre being ripped off majorly.

The enclosure is the biggest expense, so if we assume it costs ~£2 the rest of the parts (battery holder, usb socket, leds, switch, regulation circuitry, etc) come to around £1.50 at most so where is the extra expense going?

(obviously not asking you to give away your secrets or anything lol)

Anyway even with your current plan, £140 is nothing too shabby

8. vanden9

vanden9 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got lucky a few months ago. I was at sams club and they had this Ipod pack for 10 bucks.

It came with some really great things.

A Fm tunner It wasent that great but it had a little mini B usb port(like the psp uses) and that comes it handdly a great deal.(psp cables are dirt cheap) What it was just use like a Ipod cable,let me charge and be used to connect to the computer. For me what was a big deal.

The back also came AAA Battery Charger for the Ipod. PLus crappy headphones and a few cases. It was great deal for 10 bucks. I use that AA Battery Charger alot.
  9. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you decide to sell, you could sell them for a lower price for the first week or so, and then raise it up a little.

I'm not farmillar with the currencies you are talking about, but lets say you sell it for $15 the first week, and raise it up to $20-30 after that. That would get people to want to buy one faster. D:
  10. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mortel you are living genious and simon, where do you suggest i get my parts from? Bear in mind postage costs, which is only a problem for prototypes...