A way to organise music into different folders?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by me1604, Dec 26, 2007.

1. me1604

me1604 New Member

Is there a way to organise my music on the ipod touch into different folders? I have lots of random songs and the list seems all over the place.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can always make playlists.
  3. me1604

me1604 New Member

i have tried but can't work out how to do it. Thanks.
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its pretty easy, there are two ways to do it:

1) In iTunes, go to File> New Playlist (Ctrl + N in windows). Then name it anything you want. Than you can just go through iTunes and drag any songs you want into the playlist by clicking and dragging it over the name of the playlist.

2) On the iPod, got to the playlist tab. Choose On-The-Go playlist. Hit edit, then go to Artists/ Songs/ Albums and touch the blue plus sign next to the Artist/ Song/ Album that you want to add to it.
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

You need to groom your ID3 tags. Right-click on a song, select "Get info" and add the song info -- artist, genre, year, album name, track number, etc. You can click on an entire album and change the fields that are common to all songs on that album (year, album name, album artist, etc.) and then just change each song's individual info (song title, track number, etc.)

Yes, it's a lot of work. No, there is no other way to organize other than to make playlists and manually add relevant songs to each one. I try and keep all of my ID3 tags very well groomed with all relevant information, and then I create smart playlists so that I don't have to do anything manually.
  6. CassBH

CassBH New Member

Ok, I am on my 3rd iPod (now the Touch) but this is the first I have heard of the term "ID3 tags". Can someone tell me what this means and how it relates (if at all) to creating playlists???
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

ID3 tags are the informational tags embedded in MP3 files. They contain all of the information about the MP3 file; song title, artist name, year, genre, album, etc. It's been part of the MP3 specification since the beginning, though it has been upgraded in recent years from ID3v1 to ID3v2, with v2 allowing much more detailed information to be added instead of just short lines.

If you load an MP3 that it has information about the artist, album, and so on, then that MP3 has a properly edited ID3 tag. If all you see is the filename, then there's no ID3 information for the player to retrieve data from.

As I said, right-click on a song and select "Get info" in iTunes. You'll get the information pane that contains all of the ID3 tag information which you can add to/edit as you please. ID3 tags are what iTunes (and every other library program out there) uses to organize and sort your music properly. Without well-edited ID3 tags, your MP3 library will just be a mess and you won't be able to use Smart Playlists in iTunes. (Smart Playlists are a damn good idea, I might add. I make a smart playlist, tell it what criteria qualifies for inclusion in that playlist, and all my music gets sorted into those smart playlists automatically. I don't have to touch a thing as long as I make sure I have good tags.)
  8. CassBH

CassBH New Member

Ok, but am I right in assuming that if I load a CD into iTunes, and all the correct info comes up on it's own (artist, album, genre), then I do not need to do anything from there, esp. when it comes to keeping my music organized, like in playlists?
  9. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you load a CD into iTunes, I think it'll only pull artist, song title, and album - anything else I believe you have to enter yourself...
  10. CassBH

CassBH New Member

OK, sorry for the stupid question, but what other info might I want to add on my own to help organize my music?