A very hard Apple fail.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SkylarEC, Apr 18, 2009.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

As you know, cracks are made by having GDB pull your app out of memory once it's launched. I won't get into creation in any more detail because those who know how this works already know how this works. Those who don't know shouldn't know, and won't learn from me.

Now, I won't name names, but another developer, a friend of mine, just got his app rejected by Apple because he rejected GDB from attaching to his app. I got curious and recompiled my own app that has rejection code and I got a nice little error that the required header was missing. I haven't compiled in release mode since upgrading to 3.0, so I never got this error before.

I did some inspection, and this header exists in the SDK platform, but not the iPhoneOS platform for the 3.0 firmware. This means that Apple actively and purposefully removed the most important thing in preventing cracks on their device. Further proven by the fact that the header exists in the 2.x platform.[Note, I'm not talking about an app refusing to run after it's been cracked (that's ultra lame), I'm talking about an app not being able to be cracked to begin with.] It's as if Apple *wants* our apps to be cracked.

What does this mean? I don't know yet. I'm still reacting and haven't collected my thoughts. Take from this post what you will.

: (
  2. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Just a question to understand a bit more.
    So you're saying Apple denies a certain bit of code that makes cracking impossible ?
    (I don't really understand coding lingo)
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

No. Apple removed the header (which is pointless, because we can just put it back). What's of most note is that Apple rejects apps for rejecting GDB. Which means that apple uses GDB when they test our apps (which I also don't like at all).
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This is a sad day of realization for developers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow. I bet that Apple does want people to crack apps. I guess they think that it will attract more people if they don't have to pay for apps. And the people that don't want to jailbreak will still pay for them... I guess they think they're being fair or something.

But yeah, it seems like too important of a thing for apple to just "forget." Nice post.
  6. lolwut?

lolwut? Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apple gets 30% of profits, and we all know how much Apple loves their money, so I highly, HIGHLY doubt that what you said is the case.
  7. hotfuzz

hotfuzz Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Haha, maybe Apple have decided "If you can't beat em', join em!". Not....
  8. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

I'm going to guess it has something to with the fact that they use GDB in the approval process.

That is still pretty lame though.
  9. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Distrubute your programs under the GPL license and not over the AppStore. Problem solved.
  10. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I see. Google reveals quite a lot. So, basically this aids people who make things like the ulo.us things to operate. GDB is used to pull it up and crack it, while removal causes no harm. I bet that Apple has a fleet of reviewer on jailbroken iPhones and a server filled to the brim with cracked apps.