A/V Output

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cowboyshootist, Oct 4, 2007.

1. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Greetings,

I was looking at the specs for A/V output on the Touch and see that it's limited to 480i and 576i, no HD at all. Does anyone know if this is a hardware limitation or can this be enhanced through firmware upgrades?

Second, given that the signal is interlaced is there any reason to use Component cables versus Composite? I suspect Component will be marginally better in terms of video output but will it be enough to notice?
  2. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Component should be just marginally better... probably not a noticeable difference from using composite, unless your tv happens to be so amazing that any slight difference in detail would show up.

I would think that it is probably possible to upgrade that with firmware... but not really sure. Chances are though that this will not happen, there may be licensing issues, but the real reason is that it would then push it towards a different market segment which im sure apple is trying to stay away from... much in the same way they crippled apps like the calendar.
  3. touchdude

touchdude New Member

What is the best cable/adaptor for a/v output to TV? I tried one with red/white + S video (with yellow adaptor) for my Touch and only the audio worked.
  4. mikeball.mball

mikeball.mball New Member

the ipod touch doesn't have the processing power to handle HD (try playing a 1080p clip on a 1.8 ghz single core

Please Register or Log in to view images

my dads laptop can't handle it, and it is only a year old)

so i guess no is the answer

you will need a new adapter made for the touch, apple likes to screw us over and make us but new cables with silly "verification" chips built in (or sumthing like that)
  5. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member