A un-tethered JB idea?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by brendanm, Mar 6, 2009.

1. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Alright,

So as far as I can explain: A computer boots up special boot files, now those files tell it what to do... Interestingly enough, it's the file names that count, not what's contained in there (Well actually that too but you'll see where I'm going in a minute) .. If you decided to boot why not just get the iPod Touch 2G to load the custom files but with the old names?

I mean.. A file is a set of code. Take in my game, 18 WoS Haulin, the config file says it can't be opened.. you choose notepad and it opens either weird foreign letters or it loads normal text. You can edit that text to change the behaviour of the game. Now, why can't you do that but with the iPod touch?

This could be totally off or totally on but yet might lead to something more..
  2. Tai Therin

Tai Therin New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    That's what a jailbreak does (like editing a file in notepad). The problem is that the bootloader has signature checks to see if the filesystem has been modified, therefore refusing to boot. The bootloader cannot modified because it cannot be overwritten.
  3. TomPom

TomPom New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Isnt that how a JB works already?
  4. ChrisFrancia

ChrisFrancia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    before u read this i want u to now i hav no coding experience or knowledge on sig checks.
    but couldnt we edit the file and then add a sig check that says it wasnt changed?
  5. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    if you have no knowledge of how signature checking / rsa / pke works, just know, no, it will not work.
  6. Man696

Man696 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Good job! Thats so simple omg I cant believe the geniuses that work on the 2g jailbreak didn't figure that out!!! omg your smarter than they are!@!@

/end sarcasm
  7. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    man shut up.. it was an idea.. ok? he didn't say he "figured it out". at least he came up with an idea.. unlike ur totally unnecessary sarcastic a$$... useless...
  8. Man696

Man696 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ok I'm sorry...
    Hey I have an idea!!! lets just break open our ipods and remove the hardware that does the sig checks??? Sounds great right?

I'm sorry I haven't come up with anything cause at least I'm smart enough to know that I don't know anything about untethering an ipod touch. Do you?
  9. .xLr8™

.xLr8™ New Member

wow you retard Man696
  10. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    much agreed...

@man696: man u know what... but at least he has SOME knowledge about this stuff... his theory does make sense to a degree.. even tho yes it won't work... but at least it makes sense... and its original too... u r so retarded.. u just need to gtfo...