A truly bricked iPod Touch 2nd Generation? (Wall of Text)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Elamite, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Elamite

Elamite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello to all at iPTFs. I have been to this site a couple times but never once thought to register and now I'm glad I did because this looks like a place of people who know their stuff, as I clearly don't. I'll explain.

When I first got my 2nd Generation iPod Touch, it was about the time the semi-tethered jailbreak was to come out, and it had me curious, so when it came time, I went to Dinozambas's video on semi-tethering the iPod. Long story short (as you could probably tell), it went wrong somewhere, and when I tried to start it, it goes to the 'Connect to iTunes' screen (USB end below iTunes logo).

When I try to Restore it, here's what it does: It goes through as normal until on the iPod screen, the loading bar gets to the halfway point and iTunes tells me it has completed. A mere 2 seconds later, the iPod goes back to the original Connect to iTunes screen, and then iTunes tells me basically the same thing (iPod in Recovery Mode found, blah blah). So to sum it up, it basically goes in a loop no matter how many times and how many firmwares I use. I even tried putting it into DFU mode, and it still does the same thing.

Now that I am in college, I really wanted to try to get my iPod working again so I have something to listen to on my way to classes, and I stayed up all night trying to find a solution. What I found is actually a case on here of a guy that sounds like he is having my exact same problem, except he is on Mac and I am on Vista: Link.

After seeing that, I decide to search Youtube for some answers, and I found someone who videoed his problem, which is EXACTLY what mine is doing (except he is on Mac, also): This guy. Now, in his description, it says he actually solved the problem by using either RS Lite or iRecovery (he didn't specify). I tried Googling downloads for both but I did not find either. One thing I found interesting was that he said the problem he and I are having is a corrupted bootpath, and that he gave a code that should fix it via iRecovery/RS Lite, but it did not work for me (I'll explain later in the post) on iRecovery.

Upon seeing that, I searched other videos, and then found this video, and the author actually provided a link for iRecovery. So when I jumped at the chance, I did everything he said, and when it got to entering the first line of code, it gave me this error in the command prompt:

USB FOUND
    USB FOUND
    No iPhone/iPod found.

After that, I went and tried the bootpath fix but it did not work (guessing that code is intended for Macs). So now I am sitting here thinking to myself, well that is that, I have tried everything I know of that I could that relates and even semi-relates to the problem at hand, and nothing worked. So what do you guys think? Do I have a truly bricked iPod Touch?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    One thing, I did not see that there was a thread about a potential fix already for this, so I am sorry about posting this if it fixes this problem. Going to try now.
  2. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    im pretty sure you can dfu out of it
  3. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    If "truly bricked" can I have it for the "truly bricked iPod Touch 2nd Generation" wing of my museum?

I will start up, my museum, right now.
  4. Elamite

Elamite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry, Libusb thing caused my computer to go crazy for a few, but I have tried DFUing out of it and it doesn't work.
  5. mnewmansnow

mnewmansnow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did you shift+restore when restoring in dfu? If not, try that. Otherwise im not really sure, but im sure someone on this fourm will know how to fix this.
  6. Elamite

Elamite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    eh well I have nothing to shift click to, is my only problem
  7. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First, props for providing us with all the needed info and links etc. for your first time posting.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would "get" a copy of the 3.0 Firmware and then shift click after DFU mode. (Sorry I'm not more help, wanted to say you are the anomaly by posting such a thorough post.)
  8. Elamite

Elamite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    to ToogoodatCoD4, I appreciate the props you gave about my posting, just trying to not make myself look like an idiot when it comes to posting a thread. I got a copy of the 3.0 firmware from [redacted], and I am now trying it, so here's hoping for the best.

Oh and btw, if you are an XBL gamer, my tag is l Civilian l (those are L's) if you ever want to play CoD4 (and in time, MW2) some time.
  9. stxyzthipod

stxyzthipod New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I didnt know you can brick the ipod touch. I thought you can just restore it back again.
  10. Elamite

Elamite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I tried the shift click, nothing still. Reverts to the same loop.

and to Stxyz, I'm almost certain my bootpath is corrupted on mine, which I have no idea how to fix since I am not on a mac but I DO have an old XP at my home that I could try and do work with on. But with regards to no iPod Touch being bricked, eh well I don't know. Guys on this site know what they're talking about when it comes to fixing them, but no one really seems to know a good way of fixing mine.