a smart thing for apple to do!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by helikido, Feb 7, 2010.

1. helikido

helikido New Member

lets see? the processor of the 2nd gen ipod is under clocked to 500 mhz. there is still more mhz that would boost up the speed to 600mhz. this would make the ipod faster and reach higher speeds. i expect apple to do that when they launch apps for the 3g itouch using the speed on it, while having them for the 2nd gen NOT making the owners mad. this of course may kill the battery faster. but the itouch 2nd gen and 3rd gen (8gb) version will not kill you from the slower speeds. it's something like what sony did with there psp.

p.s. does the 3rd gen itouch use the full 800mhz or is it still under clocked.?
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, Apple's not gonna do it. Seriously, how many people are actually mad about this? Like, for the general consumer, they won't even know about this. They just buy for music, apps and stuff, as long as it works, it's fine. The only ones getting mad about it are the people looking into it.
  3. helikido

helikido New Member

the old processing capabilities will die soon. why? because now apple is going to launch games that the 2nd gen will not handle(too intensive). if that game is popular and a good one most will be pissed off. there will be allot of lagging issues for apple to debate over if this ever happens, trust me. i have held a 3gs and itouch 2nd gen and played around with. the games lacked on the 2nd gen itouch. some even allot.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    by the way, is apple still underclockng the 3g itouch processors.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I know that the 1G and 2G processing capabilities will die soon, which is why Apple wants you to buy a newer generation. It's common sense. If you want to play the newer games, then buy a newer generation. Don't find it fair? Too bad. Apple's a company, they wanna make money and that's what they're gonna do. If you don't wanna buy a newer generation, then don't complain that your old iPod can't handle the new games. And I don't know if the 3G processors are underclocked.
  5. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Uh...
    1. They want ur money so you buy another iPod
    2. The 3G's processor is faster in more than just the MHz. Even if the 2G was clocked at its highest 667 and the 3G was down at 533, the 3G's processor would still be faster because of the newer efficient architecture and the inclusion of an L2 cache
    3. The 3G has twice the RAM and a 28 times better graphics card,s o it wouldn't really matter.
    4. If apple did that, why would they bother making a 3G?
  6. helikido

helikido New Member

if they bothered to do that, they may get more sales. by the way, the gpu is only 4 times as fast. anyways apple is a rip off, i love the products, but not how they treat custumers, especially in an economy like that.
  7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

They would get more sales if they increased the processor speed of the older models when the newer models are available? And if you're complaining about the economy, then iPods should be the last thing on your mind.
  8. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    uh... no its 28 times faster. and 4 times isnt "only". the #G GPU pushes 28 million polygons a second and the 1G/2G only push 1 million polys a second. Also, the 3G has OpenGL 2.0 and shaders so everything is shinier and has cool shadows and better textures.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Translation: undoing the underclocking will kill battery life, to no real benefit. The 3G hardware on the 32/64GB models is significantly better, which is why there's no lag. It's like trying to run the latest PC games on an underclocked Athlon Thunderbird-based system with 1GB of RAM and an old 3DFX Voodoo5 5500: you can overclock the hell out of that old 1.2GHz processor, but the older architecture and graphics chipset will not compare well with a newer Intel i7 with the latest ATI 5900-series graphics card and 8GB of RAM, even if the whole rig was severely underclocked.
  10. helikido

helikido New Member

already then i get it. thanks people. but still, the 3gs is 4x as fast. they already tested it on a specific software and it got about 4x more the fps. though they may still push the system more than that.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    not what i meant. like you guys said- it will only increase the speed a bit. i'm talking about laggy apps here. that is why they increased the clock of the iphone?