A small thought that popped to my head...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Armageda, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Armageda

Armageda New Member

Well, I was thinking about a way to hack the 2g, and a little idea popped to my head. now, I don't know if what i'm talking about is actually executable, so i'm just gonna throw it out here.

You know how when you open the AppStore on your iPod Touch, it logs on to the AppStore server? well, what if we were to redirect the AppStore Server's IP Address to a 3rd party "AppStore" server? the user-made server will have to run just the same way AppStore runs of course, so I don't know how much this idea is something doable, so you guys be the judges...
  2. Redshift

Redshift New Member

And how would you modify the AppStore app in the first place to achieve this? The only way to do that, is to get root filesystem access (jailbreaking), and if you do that, then there is absolutely no point in modifying the AppStore like that in the first place.
  3. Armageda

Armageda New Member

well think of it, you will be able to download and install apps straight from the AppStore without going thru the iTunes recognition. Atleast that's where my idea leans towards.
  4. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    its not bout the itunes recognition. itunes can be hacked . its bout the something inside the ipod that (i think kernel but im not sure so correct me if im wrong) doesnt alow you to run unsigned code
  5. Armageda

Armageda New Member

Well yes, but if you think of it, it's all based on trust protocols. what if AppStore is at a level where all of this is already done?
  6. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    listten apple signs apps with some kind of uber special code. Then when youtry to put them on your ipod the (again i dont know so il say kernel) checks if it signed if not gtfo if its signed then welcome to the party. Its all done in the ipod, not in itunes
  7. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good Idea! But leave it to the pros who are working on it.
  8. bryguy001

bryguy001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's a good idea, unfortunately, the signing keys for apps is on the iPod itself, which means that even if we could redirect the app store (dns poison or something), the apps would still need to be signed.

That is unless apple has built in some type of key revocation mechanism...
  9. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    exactly what i had in mind
  10. Your Everyday Hacker

Your Everyday Hacker Banned

This..actually doesn't sound that bad. Hm..maybe you should send the idea to the iPhone Dev Team. Or King Chronic.