A Race To Destination: Jailbreak.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by verboten, Nov 5, 2008.

1. verboten

verboten New Member

Yep. You heard right. The two biggest names in the iPhone/iPod touch hacking community are battling it out for the big prize. The first to jailbreak the iPod touch (2nd Generation). Now, there is much speculation surrounding this story. Many people have been complaining that neither the iPhone Dev Team, nor the Chronic Dev Team have made any statements as to the progress of the iPod touch in about 3 weeks. Well, this is why: the iPhone Dev Team is very secretive of such information due to the fact that Apple could patch the exploit, thus ruining any chance of a jailbreak. This is the exact same scenario that happened with Project “Jerry SIM”, Zibri stole the exploit, thus ruining it for the rest of us. Apple patched the exploit, and the team had to start from square one.

The most efficient way to hack an iPhone or iPod touch is through Pwnage, a process in which the hardware is manipulated to allow the skipping of code checks. Well, this is all fine and dandy, but the iPod touch (2nd Generation) has a different ARM processor. It now uses an Infineon chip set, thus changing the ram disk keys and such.

Well, I think I have said enough about the actual process. I mentioned a race right? Well, it’s true. The Chronic Dev Team has acquired system dump files, thus allowing them to look for an exploit. Not much can be said to the public about the iPhone Dev Team’s progress, but let me just say that I think that it is very likely that we will all have jailbroken iPod touch (2nd Generations) by New Years Day. So stay tuned, and I really do hope that I am making an accurate assumption. More information as it comes in…

http://limitededitioniphone.com/a-race-to-destination-jailbreak/
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    very nice assumption and great facts
    i hope it comes out before then though
  3. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    no, it is just a different processor. old devices used s5l8900x, and 2g ipod touch uses s5l8720x. Infineon is actually the people that make the iPhone baseband chips. interesting write up though, it is interesting to see how other people view this.
  4. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    this is pretty interesting
    but jailbreak coming out by new years day??? damn that's a long time from now
  5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well then it the race to the finish. i whould love to see the winner.
  6. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    they need to work together. now.
  7. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

i hope the race ends soon.
  8. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I really do not care which one gets it first; I only care that it is quick, and stable.
  9. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

so... chronic, whats your estimated time frame for the jailbreak, do you have one or is it too soon to tell, i mean just a ballpark would be nice, personally im rooting for you, i'd like to see someone other than the dev team get the spotlight
  10. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Nice thread, and yeah, Ive been expectiing for it to be jailbroken around Xmas
    If they find a patch in 2.1.1, i hope it isnt already patched in .2.2!