a question or two....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by amazinggracetx, Sep 18, 2010.

1. amazinggracetx

amazinggracetx Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Sorry if this has been covered. I did a search and didn't find any info. I want to get a 4G touch. The last few ipods I've gotten, I've ordered through Apple. This time, I think I want to get my new one through Costco, depending on the price. My son, iBenji, Did a search on his costco purchased touch and found out that his warrantee is still covered for repairs.

Can you all explain to me like I'm two, how that all works? Does the warrantee JUST cover repairs or can it be replaced if it's bricked? Can I still use the genius bar at the Apple Store if need be? Is it good to get it at Costco, or should I go and order it through Apple? The idea of going, buying, and bringing it home that day is really appealing to me, but I don't want to be twisting in the wind warrantee-wise.
  2. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I don't know about the Costco warranty, but I know that you will no longer have support from Apple in any way after 1 year if you do not purchase the one year warranty extension FROM THEM. iPod Touches do not get bricked. If there is a software problem, it is easily fixed with a restore through iTunes; if a restore does not fix the issue, then it is a hardware problem, which is usually covered by all stores/companies. Note that if your screen is cracked or shattered, Apple will not cover you, and you must not jailbreak the iPod, or else the warranty will be void.

The biggest problem about buying through Apple is the absurd price of a one-year extension. I know that at Target, you can purchase a 3-year warranty for only $30, and they are very generous to you should you ever experience any problems (from my own experience).

I might also add that I chose to not purchase a warranty extension because I have never had ANY hardware issues in the time that I've owned my 1st Generation iPod Touch.