iPhone 3G A question for a genius about the return of an iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pyrocloud, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

The other day my wifi quit working, so I placed a call to Apple. They told me what I expected they would, restore and don't restore from a back up.

Ok, still doesn't work, they said take it to the genius bar. Ok, but they are so far away, over 100 miles in fact.

There are some other issues with the phone that I have over looked for a long time, because I'm not that picky. Like, the bezel does not sit flush with the housing, the ear speaker is now very low, there is a pretty good sized scratch on the back (my fault although I don't remember it happening it just appeared one day), and the battery isn't what it used to be. However when I start to lose functionality that I use every day, I need it to be taken care of.

Before I make an appointment I would like to get some feedback from the members here and see what you guys think.

I've taken my screen off, I haven't done anything too it, I was just curious. Don't know what the hell I was looking for but wanted to see if there were any gremlins in there.

In the process I nicked the seal and made a very tiny mark under the glass. You really have to look at it very hard to see it. Will this raise any eyebrows?

I'm obsessing about it and can't stop wondering if it will stop me from getting it replaced.

And if anyone would like to mention from start to finish their genius bar experience, or point me to a collective post about iphone and genius bar experiences, that would be very helpful. What they check for, is it a once over or is it a full on inspection with a microscope? Do they take it in the back and look at it? What EXACTLY do they do, and what questions do they ask?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.
  2. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    0.0 u took the screen off for no reason, make sure its on perfectly first, then restore it and make sure everything returns to its default settings and u should be good.
  3. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

Yeah, I have restored it several times. Its working fine, everything except the WiFi that is. I think because I know its there it stands out. I tried to take a picture of it, but it is not noticeable in the photos. Maybe just my OCD kicking in really hard.

Are there any posts about what exactly they do at the genius bar?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Just take it to the genius and show them the WiFi issues.

More than likely they will try a restore and an update (not sure if you're on 3.0 or 3.0.1). You already know that won't fix it so just be patient. Once it is done restoring they will see that it still isn't working and get you a refurbished phone.

Don't worry about having the screen off; I wouldn't offer the information to them but I doubt it will be a problem unless you make it into a problem.

Let us know how it goes. I have some other information for you but I don't feel like posting it; if you need more help PM me.
  5. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. Wifi doesn't work (well, it is extremely tempromental).

I will be booking an appointment with a Genius - just annoyed that it seems that you can only book 2 days in advance which means I need to wait until Thursday before I can book an appointment for Saturday!

I have had to wait for what seems like an age to get round to going into London to visit the Regent St store. The closest store is just too far for me to be able to make a trip without making use of the time for a full day out!

I have a couple of worries - the WiFi will decide to be working when I take it in and they do nothing at all or, they blame me for it not working!
  6. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

I'm just wondering about two things.

Are they going to open it?
    and
    Will the deep scratch on the back cause any problems?
    I stupidly had my keys and my phone in the same pocket and it put a nice sized gouge in the back casing. Its 1/4" W and 1/2" L and is pretty deep. I will post a pick when I get a chance.

I know I'm probably acting like a knob, but in the end I guess it doesn't really matter. If they want me to pay I will, but would like to avoid so as much as possible.

Thank you for all that posted.

@PieOPah Yeah, it just happened. After updating to 3.0.1 it just started acting strange. I noticed that it would connect sometimes. I can use it intermittently to check email and use safari, but watching YouTube is out as well as any other bandwidth intensive application.
  7. Ulysses_609

Ulysses_609 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    nope. they don't open it, from my experiences at the apple store, all they do is restore it and check for water damage. If they see that they cant fix it by restoring and it doesnt have water damage then they will give you a refurbished iPhone
  8. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've booked my Genius Appointment for Friday 12:30 at the Regent Street Branch in London (UK Apple Flagship). I've got the day off work so I can take the phone in.

Since I won't have any music for the return trip home, I have my Archos so I can watch a couple of episodes of Prison Break.

The most annoying thing is that it is going to take me about 90 minutes each way for a 10 minute appointment. Ah well, as long as I can get my WiFi working again, it is worth it!

Would be nice if I got a 3GS as a replacement, but will be equally happy with a working replacement of the same model (I don't deserve nor am entitled to an upgrade so why would it bother me not to get one?)
  9. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

Back from the Apple Store in University Village, Seattle, Washington.

Had an appointment with the Genius Bar and showed up 10 minutes early. Checked in with the Concierge, walked around the store for about 5 minutes.

The Genius approached me and asked what the problem was, I mentioned that the WiFi stopped working. I also told him I was worried about the exchange because there was a lot of scratches and a deep gouge on the back, the bezel was way off at the top and it was very far from being new looking. He said "No problem, I'm going to take it into the back and have a look. I'll be right back."

I walked around looking at all the new Macs and such. About 10 minutes later he came back and asked me how I restored it. I said I restored it as a new phone, not one of my backups. He said "Ok I'll be right back."

He came back and said "Looks like the WiFi is not repairable. We'll get you a new one." Came back in 5 minutes with a new/refurb phone, not sure which it is, but it looks great. He mentioned something about my prepaid AT&T SIM. (Grin) I said I traveled a lot and was in different markets all the time. (Basically True). Signed the invoice and went about my day. All in all about a 30 minute procedure.

Oh I was dressed for work, full monkey suit, not sure it makes a difference, but in University Village it probably does, as it is very up scale. So go clean and polite and I would say you won't have any issues.

Truth time, I bought this phone in Tianjin, China about 10 months ago, full retail price, plus a little for the smuggler. It was Jail Broken and set up to work on China Mobile, which it did well.

I broke the screen after having it for a month, got a replacement from the guy in Tianjin who sold me the phone. I was with him while he did the replacement and saw that the new screen was definitely not an Apple OEM part on the inside, on the outside I could tell no difference.

So the answer to the question, do they open it up? No, they do not, if they did they would have been able to tell it was not an OEM screen. If I can tell they could, for sure.

It goes to show that they take a very easy stance on replacing them. Hope my experience helps another looking to see how the guys at the Genius Bar do business. Easier than ...

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you sir, are an extremely lucky person. 20 months old? its a wonder they replaced it. i have noticed also that the geniuses dont seem to obsess over any condition or cosmetic problems. to my knowledge, water damage, dents for ipods and cracks/dents for iphones are all they are required to check for, and if its within their managers/apples 'description' for a broken product, they really dont care.