iPhone 3G A question about iPhone 3G ACTIVATION?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pogoyoyo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So after someone stole my iphone 1g last week, a buddy of mine might be selling me a brand new iphone 3g on monday. my question is, if the iphone has never been activated before, can it be used on any gsm network? or are iphones programmed and shipped especially to a company, and locked to that company? im not sure what company this iphone is with if thats the case, and i know theres no unlock for the 3G yet, so im wondering if i can get the iphone activated either at fido if i decide to finally get a plan, or if winpwn can activate it for me, and let me use ipod feature for now?
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    No, it needs to be activated with AT&T since there is not unlock for the 3G yet. So makes sure you have the AT&T sim card in there and activate through iTunes.
  3. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you did not answer my question.
    read...
    " is the iphone locked to a company before its been activated / opened from box? "

meaning did apple lock it to a specific company before hand? i mean im buying a sealed iphone..
    and DOES WINPWN activate the 3g?
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He answered.

Read...

"No, it needs to be activated with AT&T since there is not unlock for the 3G yet."

There is no unlock. It will onlyw ork with an AT&T SIM card regardless of its open or unopened status. It wont let you activate it unless there it detects an AT&T card.(Unless you are outside of the states). I believe all pnwage or winpwn can do is let you access the features. It will not activate it on any networks. There is no solution for this on the 3G yet.
  5. carpz

carpz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    im pretty sure a sealed iPhone has the SIM card in it already, so you just gotta plug it in and activate with itunes, but if you change sim cards, it has to be from the same provider, you can still use it as an iPod without a SIM if you activate it.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If any of the carriers in your country sell legit unlocked iphones then you can take it to them and have them activate and unlock it for any network. But ONLY if they sell unlocked 3Gs there. You also might have to pay a fee to have them do it.

If all of the carriers there sell only locked phones then you can not unlock it and will have to us it with its carrier or buy a *sim and use it with whoever you want. But there not safe.

It shouldn't matter where you bought it. The carrier request the unlock from apple and after they receive conformation from apple the unlock is applied via iTunes. It doesn't matter if the phone is from the US or not. If a carrier in your country sells unlocked 3G iphones then you can take it to them and have them unlock it. They may give you a hard time because you didnt buy the phone from them but they have the power to unlock that phone.
  7. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    but can i use the 3G without a sim card, and without activating it, just as an ipod and to play nes games and stuff?
    i know that on the 1G it wouldnt let me, it said i have to insert a sim and activate through itunes..
  8. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i would imagine that without the sim card it would just be an ipod touch with a camera and bluetooth, but im sure you need to activate the iphone 3g before you can even get the os to fully boot........ correct me if im wrong as im not to well versed on this

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you should be able to use a jailbreaking method to make the phone active. No calls or anything it would just allow access to the software. I cant be 100% sure however.
  10. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I have never had an iPhone before, but I believe that if you don't activate it, and you still sync apps, than just get Fring and you won't have to activate and you can make free wifi calls using VoIP. Unless, if you want to be able to free call all of the time, then you'll have to activate. But, I'm pretty sure if you jailbreak it, you'll be able to use it just as an iPod.