a question about HD

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kobester, Dec 3, 2009.

1. kobester

kobester New Member

Hello, I have the new Ipod touch(released in the middle of 2009) with version 3.1.2(if needed). My question is how can i watch hd videos on it? can u help me please?
  2. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

wait.... I dont think there no way to watch HD on it.... The Screen on the ipod touch is just a lcd or tft whatever two it is.... I dont think it even outputs HD..... If that the case get yourself a zune HD... It outputs HD Video and comes with a OLED. Now why didnt apple include that on the ipod touch 3gen... urgh. Oh Well I give microsoft credit for thinking of the OLED.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. neobrendan

neobrendan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why would you want to? The resolution of the screen is closer to SD than HD so there would be no point in watching HD movies. So hd movies would be just a waste of space.
  4. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

you can watch HD, but its really only useful if you use TV Out function
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The iPod touch 3G (32GB and 64GB)'s hardware technically can output HD, but Apple's firmware doesn't support it, for unknown reasons.
  6. kobester

kobester New Member

i read that Iphone 3G(s) can run HD video. I can't remember it was some patch or program for IPhone to run it, but there was a way, so ipod touch should also can.
  7. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i'm guessing nobody saw my thread about running HD videos on the ipod touch then.

I've successfully gotten 1080p videos working on my ipod touch 3G with 2 ways.

1. dump a 1080p mp4 file on your device filesystem, use iFile, locate and play the video through the standard video player, no lag. And yes, this DOES work, but ONLY with mp4's.

2. Use air video to stream mp4's 1080p without encoding straight to the device over wifi.

these are the only two options i've found and it unfortunately only can play the mp4 HD format natively. mkv's, vob's, avi's and whatever else doesn't run well at all.

a picture for comparison between my converted format and my native 1080p file.

really its only for TV out functionality so until apple release a TV out dock/cable that can output that kind of resolution (you'd require HDMI or something) it's pretty much impractical.
  8. macosxleopardfan

macosxleopardfan Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Telling the truth, the OLED screen on the ZuneHD really sucks big time..
    When you're in a place where there's no sunlight falling on top of ZuneHD (eg. your Home), the screen is fantastic for watching HD videos.. But if you take the ZuneHD out anywhere in sunlight, say on a street, the OLED screen will show you nothing but your own face in it.. Yeah, its extremely reflective..

Hence I'd choose the LCD of iPod Touch 3G any day over the OLED of ZuneHD..

9. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the OLED screen offers more vibrant colours but at a cost, i also prefer the touch screen which 100% brightness is still too bright even under the sun. I am pretty amazed by that.
  10. oposky2006

oposky2006 New Member

first, u should check if such hd formats can be supported by ipod. Also, if you would like, you can try convert these formats to mp4 with a powerful tool so that it will not lose too much quality.