A poor man's airtunes

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Lycaeus, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Lycaeus

Lycaeus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can the ipod touch's music be controlled wirelessly? For example, with the touch plugged into a stereo, could I control it's library and make it play with my MBP via wifi?

If not, there's my app idea! Who needs an airport express?
  2. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    there is a way to control your iTunes library with your iPod with the remote app. I don't think that that is what u r talking about though.
  3. Lycaeus

Lycaeus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I've got programs like that, Signal and iPhone remote.. I'm talking about the opposite - controlling the touch from a mac or PC, allowing music to be controlled remotely. It would act like airtunes, in that you could select music to be played remotely from your mac/pc. I don't think I was totally clear on that first post.
  4. bmw325harrison

bmw325harrison New Member

That would be a great app if someone would develop it, Its exactly what Im looking for.
  5. Spreche

Spreche Member

Device:
    iPhone
    There is a way to play music from your app to a stereo. It requires the Aiport Express. You plug it into the wall, connect the Airport express to the stereo using an audio cable, then connect you Mac to your wi-fi, then in iTunes there should be an option it the lower right hand corner that says play over wi-fi or something like that. There is a video on apple.com that explains how.

Here is the video: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=wirelessmore

EDIT: And I think there is an app that allows you to set-up a VNC server on your iPod Touch or iPhone(Not released though, I'm not fully sure if its in development). That is what you are looking for in a sense.
  6. Lycaeus

Lycaeus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nah, that's not what I'm after. Forget the AE exists. I want to remote control an iTouch with an app/web app-type-thing from the MBP via the wireless functionality. It would have the same effect as an AE, only the musis source would be the iTouch, remotely activated from (in my case) an MBP. Sound like fun?
  7. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    maybe the apple remote?
  8. Lycaeus

Lycaeus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The iDock/Apple remote combination is great for people who just (i)love(/i) to play, pause, skip tracks and change volume but not be able to scroll through all the music as you would on itunes. I suspect it's a deliberate flaw that it's not more useful (ie, they'll wait for a bit then bring one out that is more useful at high, high prices)..I hope I'm right on this and not been an eejit, last time I checked the remote wouldn't let you have full access to iPod menu features..
  9. edru

edru New Member

Get Simplify - might still be free in app store - then get it for your PC - it will allow you to stream from your PC to iphod from any network.
  10. Lycaeus

Lycaeus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, I tried Simplify. It's close to what I mean and made me think of an extra functionality for my idea. I want to be able to make my iTouch play from any music source - be it the iTouch's own library, a computer on the network, it doesn't matter - from my MBP. So this imaginary app is on the screen of my MBP, I can browse my iTouch library and make my iTouch play whatever I want from this MPB app. That's the dream, folks. I suppose it could be a web app in the style of Signal..except I want Signal in reverse!