A number of questions about my iPod - please forgive me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by publicradio, Jan 27, 2010.

1. publicradio

publicradio New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello,

I recently obtained an iPod touch and I have a number of questions about it:

1) I much prefer MediaMonkey to iTunes and I know the device syncs with the program. Is there a reason I should use iTunes instead? I was thinking about using iTunes only to sync apps and backup my iPod's configuration.

2) Album art nightmare: I have never cared about proper album art in my mp3s until now. I tried to add album art automatically via iTunes and there were problems: it seemed to only get maybe 20% of the album covers, any mp3 that already had (the wrong) artwork in it was skipped, and it looks like it added it all into a proprietary iTunes folder instead of even attempting to tag it in the file. If anyone can recommend a good solution for mass tagging album art that embeds and requires as little manual labor as possible, I'd love to hear it.

3) I'm not getting badges for my calendar or mail alerts. I only get the sound, and if I'm off somewhere else on the iPod I have no clue to what that alert pertains. I get badges for my facebook app and mint.com, and in preferences it says these are the only apps that use badges. If the iPod just doesn't have badges for these apps, is there something I can download to enable them (official or 3rd party)? Also, why wouldn't it have badges for these very important programs?

4) When I was getting an iPod I was very much looking forward to making my playlists as I moved around. I could listen to songs, delete the stinkers that were laying around in my collection, retag songs with a different genre or mood, make and edit playlists and just manipulate my collection overall. Imagine my disappointment to dicover the iPod apparently does none of these things. What good apps (official or 3rd party) or hacks will help me gain some of this control over my collection? I want to be able to make playlists above all (besides the one on-the-go list).

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future but help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1. Using iTunes makes it easier to restore etc. if you run into any problems, but I'm not a fan of it either.

2. Album art and iTunes don't work together so well. I hate not having album art lol. What you can do is, if you have a bunch of songs from the same album, but only have the artwork for one or two is do a group edit to make sure they really are from the same album. (just re-type the name of the album)

3.What you see is what you get as far as I know. The alarms are there to tell you there is something that needs to be attended to. There may be apps that can integrate badges into calender etc.

4.I still have the same question, but if I find an answer I'll let you know.

Hopefully I can help somehow, but if not, best of luck
  3. publicradio

publicradio New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I found a program called tuneup that grabbed a bunch of album covers and did a good job. unfortunately the free version only does 100 albums. Also the other covers are still totally out of wack. Frustrating.
  4. raxater

raxater New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Using something else than iTunes is like plugging your iPod on MP4 charger, you scrap it...(like i did)
  5. publicradio

publicradio New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What does that mean? That using something other than iTunes ruins your iPod?