A novice's question about upgrading to 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thebes11, Jan 2, 2009.

1. thebes11

thebes11 New Member

Last week I bought my first ipod, a 16GB touch. Browsing this forum I figured out I purchased a Gen1.

It's running 1.1.5 (4B1).

Every other computing device I have ever bought allowed to a free upgrade to the latest operating system. I cannot find this with Apple. Am I stuck paying for the upgrade, even though it was released before I bought my iPod?

If so, bad form on Apple's part.

This has lead me to a second question, I paid $220.00 for mine. It seems like the $79.00 savings was worth it, but did I make a mistake? Adding in the cost of upgrading the OS, should I go back and return it for a gen2?

I did try to search on this and didn't find anything, but I'm not very tech savvy, so I apologize if this is a repeat.
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    always makes me laugh that people get angry over an upgrade costing a couple of bucks ($10)

principle or no, just pay it and get over it. it wont bankrupt you, and the difference between 1.1.5 and 2.x is immeasurable. You do get free interim fw upgrades, but major ones you pay for, like OSX and XP.

take it out with the person who sold you the item, not Apple directly. thats who your sale's contract lies with. besides, it doesn't really matter for the cost of an album.

returning it for a gen2 is probably a wiser choice (considering it's a newer model) but again, if you do, make sure 2.x FW is on it

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. thebes11

thebes11 New Member

Didn't mean to sound angy, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a free upgrade before I paid for it. Still think it's bad from though.

Anyway, glad I could provide you with a laugh.

Thanks for the help.
  4. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    likewise, i'm not meaning to sound angry too

as mentioned, there are free upgrades, but not between major releases, like 1.x and 2.x.
  5. thebes11

thebes11 New Member

So reading a bunch of threads on here, I'm debating whether to go to gen 2 or not. Mostly because of reading about the jailbreak issue. I have to decide which is more important, being able to customize the unit more, or the external speaker and ability to use a mic.
  6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    exactly.

personally, after being jailbroken, i'm now not using jb and dont ever intend to again. i dont find the faff and hastle and lack of certain performances worth the effort just to install emulated games (usually illegally if you havent already pre-paid for them) and to change my background picture.

FW 2.x is so much fun on it's own

7. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    All gen2 devices are built with fw 2.x so upgrading at that point should be no problem
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
  9. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    And just as importantly, if not more importantly, are the stability issues with jailbroken devices...
  10. Crazy55

Crazy55 New Member

Here man follow this link to get to a site that should allow u to download the firmware for free.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Then plug in your ipod, hold shift click update and find where you put the file.
    Click on it and you should be on your way to updating to 2.2 or which ever software you decide.