A nominal fee...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikesgroove, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

So, we know that the Touch will have the App Store, but it will come with a "nominal fee, due to the difference in accounting between the Touch and iPhone." I wonder how nominal is nominal? I'm willing to pay for it, personally, but I definitely have my limits. What about you?
  2. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ya well think i paid $399 for my 16gb touch $20 for the app pack and say $20 (if not more) for the new app pack (yes bad name) so like 440 or more that is getting into the iphone range now that might be the way to go wait though im in canada and we dont have it yet
  3. tonybeyondo

tonybeyondo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They mentioned that it was for accounting purposes, so if you think back to when they added N support on Macbooks, they charged a nominal fee for that software update. It added significant functionality, so they 'had' to charge something for it.

Here's the story from AppleInsider, I'd guess that the fee will be $1.99 for touch users to get the AppStore. I don't think I have a problem with it.

Apple confirms, lowers 802.11n Enabler fee

Apple tonight confirmed a circulating story that it would charge owners of recent Airport-equipped Macs for a patch that will enable 802.11n wireless in Mac OS X. The company, however, appears to have changed its mind about the privately documented $4.99 fee following customer reaction and will now plans to charge just $1.99

Apple spokeswoman Lynn Fox additionally confirmed that the Sarbannes-Oxley Act was largely to blame for the fee. The law's provisions require that companies charge for significant features added to already-purchased products, Fox said.

Speculation about retroactive updates to the faster Wi-Fi standard arose when dissections of the MacBook Pro and other computers released since August revealed hidden 802.11n support in their chipsets.:"
  4. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

I'm willing to pay another $20 at most for access to the App Store. I'm hoping it may end up being less, but you never know.
  5. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    and they are not "significant features added" to the iphone
    just cause it is a phone you can get it for free
  6. awperk

awperk New Member

this fee kinda ticks me off but i understand it to an extent. i know that apple gets money constantly from iphone users because of their agreement with AT&T but i spent my money and i was hoping that was it. i'm curious to see if all new ipod touches sold after the 2.0 release will include the update. oh and i'd be ecstatic if the update was under $10.
  7. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

LMAO pay for the App Store? don't make me laugh, charging for the actual iPhone apps was bad enough, but jeez if it ain't free i ain't getting it
  8. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Apple has an extremely rigid contract with AT&T who definitely seem to have some very exclusive right to iPhone features and capabilities. In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet that Apple has to pay At&T to release features on the iPhone to the Touch. At least, if I was CEO of AT&T, that's what I would demand...
  9. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Apple doesn't "have" to charge for anything, not for adding wireless n to their laptops, not for the iPhone apps on the touch, not for an app store on the touch. This is just a myth spread by Apple to make them not look like assholes, and gobbled up/perpetuated by rabid fanboys who are willing to believe anything that excuses Apple. There IS a law that Apple is referencing for their nebulous "accounting purposes," but it is their selective and, so far, unique, interpretation of it that they use to justify their trying to suck more out of their customers.

MS never charged for adding "significant functionality" to the Zune via firmware update. Or the Xbox 360. Neither did Sony do for the PS3 or PSP. There's no excuse for Apple to do so, other than wanting more money.

And that's okay. But it's important to be honest about it. Capitalism is built on greed. So they should just admit that they're willing to be greedy and to screw over their customers instead of pretending that their hands are tied.
  10. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    and i bet that law is only in the states not in all other countries where touches are available