A Hopefully Helpful Hint about OS 2.2 Microphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by nathana, Dec 12, 2008.

1. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey,

So on my 1G, I pluged a MacAlly iVoice III in (as other past posts of mine have indicated) after loading up OS 2.2 and some microphone-capable apps (Fring, iTalk, and even Ocarina!), and found that the iVoice III does indeed work unmodded on even a non-jailbroken OS 2.2 Touch (assuming the application you want to use with it will install on a non-jailbroken 1G, such as Fring for example).

However, I initially had some trouble getting it to work...I would see "iPod-Mic 1.0.0" in the Settings -> General -> About page, but the blue LED inside the mic would never turn on when trying to record inside of an app and I would get no activity on the microphone.

What I discovered by accident while trying to get it working was that for some strange reason, you NEED to have something plugged into the headphone jack before the microphone will work! If nothing is plugged in there, the microphone cannot be used by applications. (I found this strange initially as I was almost sure the very first time I tried it and got it to work, I didn't have my headphones plugged in, but since then this has been 100% repeatable.)

Hopefully this knowledge manages to help others!

-- Nathan
  2. fattoto25

fattoto25 Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow.... genius!
    how did you get ocarina on your ipod touch? it should be impossible..
    unless you got a cracked version.. *GASP*

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Extract the .ipa and SSH the .app onto your iPod. Done.

On-topic: That is cool! I've added an iVoice III to my Christmas list.
  4. suedehead

suedehead New Member

genius, Nathan. thanks so much. I'm getting the iVoice III so I can finally have VOIP and audio recording on my 1G Touch.
  5. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Um, no. It's bought and paid for, all straight-up. Purchased it in the App Store with iTunes, and then manually copied it over to the iPod and put the blahblah.app folder contained in the .ipa file (which is really just a renamed .zip archive) into /Applications. You can either extract the .app folder from the IPA/ZIP first on your computer and then copy that directory tree over to the iPod, or you can just copy the IPA over since Info-ZIP's command-line 'unzip' app is built into the iPod's firmware (so you'd have to use 'unzip' from MobileTerminal or over an SSH session conducted over WiFi to extract the app from the IPA/ZIP).

Much of this is documented [post=1083724]here[/post], but you'll also need to read [post=1087478]this[/post] if you actually want the freaking icon to show up on your Springboard.

-- Nathan
  6. suedehead

suedehead New Member

Nathan, I got the MacAlly iVoice III and tried it on my 1G Touch, and plugged in the headphones to the MacAlly headphone jack, and also into the Touch headphone jack, but no blue light went on. I did not see any mic indication in the Settings/general/about page either. I inserted iVoice III and restarted the Touch to see if I could get it to show up, but no go. What else do I have to do to make it work?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    P.S. I tried it with the FRing test call and it didn't work either.
    YES IT DOES WORK! (sorry, my bad.) I tried it with Voxie, and holy sh*t, it actually records! The only problem I'm having is hearing the play black. So far I can only hear the play back through the Touch's built-in headphone jack, not through the MacAlly iVoice III headphone jack. But hey, at least I can record with it, which is WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED!
    Here's what I found with Voxie: DO NOT plug anything in the iVoice III headphone jack or it WON'T work. Plug in only the iVoice III BEFORE opening the app. Then open Voxie. Then go to record page and hit record button. The blue light goes on, just like it's supposed to. For playback, remove iVoice III, plug headphones into Touch's headphone jack, and play back.

BTW, the CD quality 44khz recording on Voxie is top-notch!
    I've now been able to plug the MacAlly mic back in and make a new recording without having to restart the program. I still have to unplug the mic in order to hear a playback. Maybe that has to do with 'headphone' settings. I'll check.
    It finally showed up in iPod Mic as 1.0.0. Yea!
    I tried Fring again. I'm not hearing any call to me (using Skype or Fring test), but I DO hear the 'hang up' beep through the headphones of the iVoice III. Getting better.
    I tried Fring again, using Skype test call, and this time I plugged headphone into the 1G Touch's headphone jack, and voilá, the blue light came on. It seems like you can only hear through the Touch's headphone jack, but the trick is you have to have headphones with really a really tiny plug so it fits next to the iVoice III.
  7. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey, yeah, the jack on the bottom of the iVoice is NOT a headphone jack. It's a LINE-IN jack. You plug an alternative audio source into it for recording purposes (such as, say, a higher-quality mic, or maybe a CD player or radio), and it will capture audio from that device instead of the mic inside of the iVoice.

So, yes, what I meant was that you need to have your headphones plugged into the iPod's headphone jack, which is the only headphone jack available to plug into on the entire system.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Anyway, glad to hear that you have managed to duplicate my success! Have fun with your newfound abilities on your Touch!

-- Nathan
  8. suedehead

suedehead New Member

FRING WORKS! While I was messing around with this stuff at a wifi cafe, I picked up a call from my brother. I can make Skype calls, pick up Skype calls, hear the caller and they can hear me. Best of all, there's no delay or echo. It works great! The only problem is that sound out is a little weak. Its hard to hear in a busy cafe and it depends on the strength of your wifi connection. I've read that other Fring users report this problem as well. It's up to the software providers to allow the user to control headphone settings, or some such.
    you're right: the jack on the iVoice III is a line-in jack, which is great for recording certain instruments, like guitars. WHOOPPEE!
  9. vthiru

vthiru New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Can you buy this mic in WALMART ?