A fix (that worked) to Cydia 3.0 crashing when loading

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MGWeatherman08, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MGWeatherman08

MGWeatherman08 New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Hi this is my first post on this site but I have been viewing this site for some time now. I recently encountered the problem that when you clicked on Cydia it would load saying "Loading Data" for a couple of seconds then crash back into the springboard. Well I kept looking and looking for a solution and couldn't for the life of me find one. But I finally found one that worked! I will post it below.
    NOTE: This is NOT a fix for people having problems with ICY that's a different issue. Also I did NOT create this fix, the credit goes to Tech Chronicle. Thanks to whoever figured this fix out.

1.) Use a SSH program or iPhone Browser. I used "iPhone Browser" because I didn't have an SSH program.

2.) Once you connected your iPod Touch or iPhone to your computer and have your SSH program or iPhone Browser up go to your iPod Touch or iPhones directory and find the folder /var/lib/apt/lists (may have to backtrack to the var folder – default log-in isn’t always the root folder where var is)

You may opted to back up all of the files. I was deleting simply by dragging them to a folder on the desktop – you don’t have to, but having a way to undo stuff is usually a good option to have.

3.) Delete all of the files except for the partial folder!

4.) Restart your device and have fun!

I hope this helps! If this didn't help reinstall (not restore) your jailbreak (don't forget to NOT install ICY) and then follow these instructions.
  2. robertomano24

robertomano24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks for the tut. worked fine
  3. rtrigiani

rtrigiani New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    good man. should be sticky
  4. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    does the same problem happen if you use cydia to install icy? i heard about the problem and never installed icy, but i got curious and i installed icy in the ripdev repo using cydia.. is the problem still there? i wasnt sure if it was the way the jailbreak installs them or in general they have issues
  5. ATLien

ATLien Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    another way to fix cydia on 3.0 is to go to on winscp (windows users) and look for /var/lib/dpkg/updates. and delete all the numbered files such 0000,0001,0002 etc. and it should work fine. worked for me atleast. haha.

sorry if i f***ed sh*t up. haha. just wanted to put my contribution in. =P
  6. MGWeatherman08

MGWeatherman08 New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I can't really say. For me I had actually installed both Icy and Cydia using Redsnow 0.72 at first. Then I had that problem with Icy having issues with Cydia and crashing. So I reinstalled redsnow 0.72 only checking Cydia and that fixed that issues, plus Icy didn't uninstall and it was working too without conflict. Then shortly after that Cydia was crashing when loading and I found this fix. I realize that now redsnow 0.8 is out, so who knows if there is a fix for these issues. It also seems that everything seems to be very buggy right now. Ontop of that 3.1 is coming out within the next month or so who knows. I would say if your wanting Icy wait until OS 3.1 jailbreak comes out.

Sorry if that wasn't that much of an answer....
  7. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

I don't have this problem luckily.
  8. Swatman

Swatman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sorry what is an SSH? im new to this
  9. RawrFull

RawrFull Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Do you guys think this will work for me to ? I have a iPod Touch 2g firmware 2.2.1 and for some reason when i load cydia it shows the background of cydia then crashes :S (just started happening a few days ago)
  10. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^ It should work. Why don't you try & see? If it doesn't, this very section has some other threads addressing cydia crashes. You should be able to fix it.