A Few VERY Noob Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr Deftino, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey guys and girls. I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I just wanted some things clearing up.

1. What does SSH mean?

2. Which is the best Jailbreak Software for my 2.2.1 2G iPod Touch (never been jailbroken)

3. Is Jailbreaking Legal and safe?

4. What is Cydia?

5. Can libusb be installed properly on Vista?

Thanks to anyone who helps in advance.
  2. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No problem.

1. Secure Shell Host. It just lets you access files on your iPod.
    2. It depends. Probably Cyw00d's... Just click new posts to see the newest.
    3. Yes and yes. Maybe not legal in a few months, but legal right now.
    4. It installs third party software on your iPod. Basically, the reason to jailbreak.
    5. Yes. You have to install it XP compatibility mode.
  3. B3njaminX23

B3njaminX23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Lemme answer some of it.. Umm cydia is An installer which you can get when you jailbreak your ipod touch.. And jailbreaking is not that illegal. When you paid for that ipod,It means it is yours and you can do anything with it.. Well I can tell that jailbreaking is absolutely not illegal.
  4. iScorp

iScorp Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. SSH stands for Secure Shell.
    It is just a protocol that allows you to access your ipod touch from your desktop PC or mac and execute commands on it (thus allowing you to copy any kind of data to the ipod touch without itunes). it's also used for a lot of customization things if you know what you're doing. I'd highly advise you to install SSH, since it's needed for some apps. Use a program like cyberduck on mac or WinSCP on windows and you can browse your ipod like any other hard drive and explore it's content.

2. I prefer Cyw00d.

3. It's safe, for what I've experienced you can always put it in DFU and restore from there.

4. Cydia lets you download apps like Winterboard and SBSettings etc. You can also download themes with it and install them with Winterboard.

5. Yep, assuming you are on 32bit, just install it windows xp sp2 compatible. You can find this option under properties.
  5. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks guys, also when my iPod is Jailbroken (Tethered) do I have to connect to a PC everytime I wana switch it on??? I don't really get Tethered and Semi-Tethered.
  6. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    with the tethered you have to plug in every time you turn it off. Semi tethered, you can turn it back on, but you have only non jailbroken use. That said, you still have the jb on semi if you reboot. Although with semi there are many patches you need to apply for it to have full jailbroken use
    I prefer the tethered,it's very simple to apply and I hardley have to reboot.