A Few Questions About sudo rm -rf /

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DarkWrath, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know that from my basic grasp of LinuxOSes that by executing the sudo death command, that the os eats itself from the inside out, but i have a few questions about the command.

1. If one were to execute the command, would the command leave the system in a state where it would be so unusable that the apple store would not be able to recover it?

2. Also, i know (well at least i think) that the command is not instant and takes a while to complete. I presume that to do this the terminal process would need to be running. However, if i executed this on MobileTerminal and stopped the process half way through, would i be left with a half usable, retarded os?

3. Finally, i know the main OS is stored from a different place to DFU mode, does this command wipe DFU mode?

I am just curious and answers would be appreciated, not that i'm planning to execute this command any soon

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow...I am very tempted to try that Just for Fun. XD
    But no, I'm Pretty sure that DFU Mode is stored In a different place from the main OS, and cannot be affected whatsoever, so it shouldn't affect DFU mode.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd rather this topic not be discussed on forum here. We've had negative issues with it being brought up before and it generally doesn't turn out well... so the best thing is to go and do some Google research or tap up one of the more experienced UNIX users here over PM.

Just to note that DFU mode is a hardwired function and I don't think this command reaches that deep.
  4. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanx for the response stu, i might do a bit more research and do what you recommended. But i'm curious to find out what those negative issues were...

Please Register or Log in to view images