A few probably common questions i need help with asap pls :)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crystalnightmares, Jan 12, 2008.

1. crystalnightmares

crystalnightmares New Member

hey, I'm new to all this and thinking about buying a ipod touch 16GB on ebay.

Please Register or Log in to view images

i wanted to get an iphone but the whole 18month contract put me off...

sorry if these have been answered elsewhere but i need to try and get an answer asap

Ipod touch 16GB:
    1. is it possible to go on emails? e.g. hotmail?
    2. with jailbreaker, is it simple and safe to do? wat things must i avoid if i do e.g. updates? (ive heard it is possible to lock the phone if someone finds out?)
    3. Is something like msn possible?
    4. to put things like music and movies onto your ipod, does it take a while?
    5. how can u put games onto it? and wat sort of things are available....I tried downloading a playstation emmulator for my mac (btw i probably dont quite know the right terms for this) and i downloaded a game for it and couldnt figure that out :S. again, is this safe?
    6. how is it possible for ppol like apple to find out uve been using things like jailbreaker?

Would be extremely greatful if sumone culd help me out

2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can check the kind of existing applications easily by searching with Google/looking at the application forums here/... but yes, you can have emails: pop3 and imap are supported by the original email application of the iPhone that also works on the iPod Touch.

Jailbreaking is perfectly safe with an iPod Touch, there is always the possibility to restore if something goes wrong or if you want to get rid of the jailbreak, that will leave absolutely no trace of jailbreaking. There are many guides around that explain how to do (check my sig for instance).

There are games too, cfr. my remark above.

I'm sure that by looking, you can also find a spell checking tool

3. crystalnightmares

crystalnightmares New Member

lol, thanks for the reply

so msn is a no no?

is there any problems with needing virus checkers/scanners/firewall etc? since their is the internet on the ipod....

do you know any good sites for getting hold of applications/games/emmulators etc? or are they mainly shown in the forum?
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What exactly are you looking for for MSN? IM? If so, yeah, you can get IM - web-based I believe.

As for virus/scanner/firewall, you shouldn't need them if you don't jailbreak - otherwise, you should just be careful. iPod Touch is based on Mac OS X, so it's fairly secure. Just don't do stupid things - pay attention to what you're installing. And worst case scenario, you get a virus, all you have to do is a force restore and you're back to factory settings. And since most of your data is on your computer or the internet, not like you'll be losing anything really in a restore..

As for good sites, if you jailbreak, you'll get a program called Installer.app which is where you go for all your apps. Just add sources from the Ultimate List of Installer Sources in the Applications forum.