A Few Observations about Cases/Skins

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dlstc, Jan 19, 2009.

1. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ...please consider your present AND future needs. I have learned the hard way that there is more to choosing a case than style and protection. Here is a summary of what I have read on the boards and my own experience. It is therefore somewhat subjective and I expect (and welcome) differing opinions and viewpoints.

Silicon skins/wraps or applied skins like IS, BSE, etc. are great for preventing scratches but do little for shock (drop) protection. Many applied skins which cover the back of the Touch cannot be used in conjunction with hard cases. Both back and screen protection can be used with more flexible cases like Speck's Pixel Skin or other silicon wraps which can usually stretch a bit to accomodate the applied skis. Some applied skins offer great warranties, including lifetime warranties in which they will replace the skins as necessary. Some been reported to yellow over time. Application and resulting bubble/texture are frustrating to some, irrelevant to others. Skins, applied or silicon, usually ignore protection of the dock. They sometimes cover the buttons but do nothing to prevent lint or dirt from entering the dock connector. They can be difficult to remove.

I admit I personally have no experience with silicon skins/wraps or applied shields. I use a screen protector that came with one of my cases and two of my cases have built-in protection. The above is a summary of what I have gleaned from posts and reviews.

Hard cases offer great protection, but can be bulky. They can also make using accessories like docks or bluetooth dongles difficult. The best hard cases offer protection without bulk, ability to either dock items without taking the Touch out of the case (or easily take out to dock) and come with accessories such as screen protectors, universal docks, headphone jack extenders, stands, etc. Some are hybrids that have pieces that slip off the dock connector or the bottom third/half of the Touch to allow docking.

I have owned six different iPod Touch 2G hard cases. My favorite is the InCase Slider for protection, style and ability to dock with accessories including my bluetooth dongle. A close second is the Rebel Touch by Switch Easy. It offers unsurpassed accessories including a screen protector, wipe, squeegee, headphone extender, dock connector cover, stand and universal dock adapter. Unfortunately, I cannot connect my dongle with it, and it is extremely difficult to remove my iPod from this case.
  2. joorowned

joorowned New Member

Personally, I think the best protection is a combination of both a skin/case. This is because some cases actually will scratch the ipod, and so you knock out 2 birds by using both.
  3. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think you are absolutely right. If I could find a hard case that was dockable AND could accomodate my bluetooth dongle AND fit over a skin like IS, I would do it. I have yet to find such a combination. The only cases that I have read would fit over a skin is a silicon wrap or other such softer case, like Speck's Pixel Skin. I much prefer hard cases, however.

Anyone found this magical combination?
  4. xjamesd93

xjamesd93 New Member

Yes, look at the Switcheasy Neo Touch it has a thin silicone that goes on first, then 2 hard spines that go on afterwards
  5. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I love the Switch Easy products.

But from what I've read, they will not accomodate the applied skins like IS or BSE. They fit too tightly.

They are great cases in their own right, and do not require an IS or BSE. As you pointed out, they have their own "skin" and don't require additional protection.

I owned a Rebel Touch, and looked at the Neo Touch, but because of the cases' great protection (ie., the small rubber/silicon protecting the area between the dock connector opening and the headphone jack), they will not accomodate my bluetooth dongle. (I just love my wireless headphones that sync with my phone and iPod at the same time!)

Which is why I'm still looking for the magic combination of applied skin and case. My Incase Slider and Speck See Thru cases allow enough space for the dongle, but I am afraid they will end up scratching my iPod when I do have to slide off the cases.
  6. Naveen

Naveen Banned

get the incase slider i have it and it is great

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

It just hit me..

The only reason the Neotouch has that silicone part is for the other two frames not to scratch the phone

now the silicone appears to be roughly the same size as a zagg etc right?

Maybe just maybe you can pull it off somehow, perhaps 2 zaggs one on top of the other (LOL)
  8. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    LOL, that's a thought.

I sure wish there were more great cases like the NeoTouch out there. The Switch Easy cases are great, what with their accessories, and the way they combine scratch and drop protection. If only they were a tiny bit less protective and a bluetooth dongle could be used with them.

I also have the Incase Slider and have been very careful about fully wiping down the iPod and the inside of the case to prevent scratches. I have heard horror stories though of how dirt and dust get caught in there and scratch the iPod.