A few jailbreak questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PlaitnumTimmy, Jun 27, 2009.

1. PlaitnumTimmy

PlaitnumTimmy New Member

So im buying a ipod touch 2G tommorw

Please Register or Log in to view images

and i have a few questions about jailbreaking and whitch version i should jailbreak

Should i buy 3.0 and jail break that or stick with the one it comes with?

As 3.0 has less apps working can they be fixed?

What jailbreak should i do the one it comes with i have heard talk about tetherd and untetherd or somthing i have no idea what this is is?

If i jailbreak the version it comes with will i be able to move to 3.0 jailbreak without losing all the cydia apps and game saves ect.

And finnaly what are sources, do you need them to get certain apps?

Thanks to anyone that can help me sorry about the amount of questions
  2. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Either jailbreaking 2.2.1 or 3.0 is all up to you. Most people are on 3.0 by now since apps and things that didn't work before are now being ported. I would say its worth it to jailbreak 3.0 as you don't want to be on 2.2.1, get your iPod all pimped out, and have to redo everything once you do update to 3.0.

All jailbreak methods are now untethered. The difference between tethered and untethered is that with tethered, you would have to re-jailbreak everytime you turned your device off, but thats not a problem anymore as all recent jailbreaks are now untethered.

Jailbreaking 2.2.1 and then updating will cause you to lose all your apps from Cydia and Cydia itself as you do become unjailbroken.

As for sources, the most popular sources already come on Cydia, and extra ones can be added depending on the apps that you want.

Whew, hope I helped.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    A few jailbreak questions
    So im buying a ipod touch 2G tommorw and i have a few questions about jailbreaking and whitch version i should jailbreak

Should i buy 3.0 and jail break that or stick with the one it comes with?

For now stay on 2.2.1 until more apps are ported over

As 3.0 has less apps working can they be fixed?

Sure, they can be updated to support 3.0

What jailbreak should i do the one it comes with i have heard talk about tetherd and untetherd or somthing i have no idea what this is is?

Don't worry about that. All u need to know it that u need to use redsn0w 0.3

If i jailbreak the version it comes with will i be able to move to 3.0 jailbreak without losing all the cydia apps and game saves ect.

No, unless you use a app like chronus to back it up

And finnaly what are sources, do you need them to get certain apps?

They can be found on the front page of cydia. But most of the big ones come pre-installed for you.

Thanks to anyone that can help me sorry about the amount of questions

anytime. No problem.
  4. nirvahnah

nirvahnah Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1) Okay so it's not allowed here so I won't into detail but you can obtain 3.0 without paying, but that's PIRACY and is very BAD! I dont recomend it at all since i buy stuff and support apple and their products but it's possible. But i completely recommend obtaining 3.0 and jailbreaking that instead of 2.2.1 because getting situated after a fresh JB is a pain in the ass. and EVERYTHING gets wiped when you update so yea. and everything should be completely ported over to 3.0 within a month so its no biggy.

2) YES! thats the beauty of the iphone/ipod touch. their is ALWAYS updates being put out to fix stuff by developers. so if its a big app that allot of people have i can say with 99.99% certainty that if its not already working on 3.0 it will within a months time.

3) Okay so once you get your iPod your going to download redsn0w 0.72 for your computer be it mac or windows. once thats done just follow on screen instructions and that program will guide you through it! i say redsn0w 0.72 and not 0.3 because 0.72 is the one that jailbreaks OS 3.0.

untethered means that after JBing your iPod you can use it like a normal ipod, turn it off and on and it will still remain JBed.

tethered means its "tethered" to your computer. depending on how you JBed it, this could mean after power down you get the connect to itunes picture you have when you buy it new, and you'll need to connect after every power down. or it could mean you need to completely re-jailbreak it after power down.

but either way all jailbreaking methods now are untethered so its unnecessary to worry about this.

4)NO! updating requires a restore for jailbreaking. and restoring involves deleting EVERYTHING! so anything from cydia or icy wil be lost forever. which is why i recommended just jailbreaking 3.0 to begin with.

5) a source is well a source that provides you with software for download on your jailbroken ipod. basically its a URL you input in cydia that will allow cydia to recieve the software from a specific developer. all big time sources are already added to cydia when you get it so this is also not a problem to worry about. the only time you'll need to worry about sources is if you intend on getting an emulator of some sort and the ROMS to run on it.

p.s. ROMS are also illegal. not that any body will catch you but its still not good. ive got them myself but only of games ive bought which is still illegal but makes me feel slightly less bad about it since the company did receive some sort of payment by me at sometime for the game lol.

so thats covers just about everything i hope. have fun and enjoy =)