A few iTouch newbie questions ...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by speedmaster, May 7, 2009.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster New Member

Hey guys, just found the forum. I know my way around iTunes and iPods in general, but new to the Touch. About to buy one (8GB model) for my 12 year old daughter. I have a bunch of questions. Answers and pointers to more info much appreciated.

Please Register or Log in to view images

How long should I hold off? I occasionally visit this site and saw this. How long until we see a new revision of the iTouch? Any educated guesses?
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_touch

I thought that jailbreaking an iPhone meant to allow it to run on other carriers? What does it mean to jailbreak a Touch? Run unapproved apps?

Do you recommend a source other than directly from Apple?

What else should I read? Is there a FAQ or other similar info?

Thanks VERY much in advance, I appreciate it!!

Chris
  2. Soutar_3DG

Soutar_3DG Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. there might be a new ipod touch later this year but know one really knows

2. Jailbreaking means that you can things apple dont want you to do e.g run unapproved apps as you said, themeing, emulators and many other things
    The ability to use other carriers on the iPhone is yellowsn0w unlock not jailbreaking

3. Buy it from any where you want

4. not too sure there probably is one somewhere
  3. speedmaster

speedmaster New Member

4. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I wouldn't say buy it from were ever you want. Your best luck will be buying the iPod Touch 2G from a Local Apple Store, or even a Wal-mart or Best Buy.

Both Wal-mart and Best Buy offer great Warranties in case anything happens to the iPod. If your going to buy it from anywhere other than an Apple Store I suggest Wal-mart or Best buy.

Another thing you might want to know since you stated your buying this for your 12-year-old Daughter is that there are parental controls on the iPod Touch. Just in case there's something you don't want her to be doing such as downloading applications without your permission.
  5. speedmaster

speedmaster New Member

Good info, thanks very much. I'm also seriously considering buying a refurb directly from Apple.
  6. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I know a couple of people who have bought refurbished iPods directly from Apple and I must say they have never had a single problem. I would have done the same thing considering all the extra money you've saved, I just prefer a brand new iPod.

Refurbished iPods work just as fine though, I guess its just because I'm spoiled

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. ~raF

~raF Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you command it from Apple, you could get the free -engraving- with your daughter's name on it xD
  8. speedmaster

speedmaster New Member

Just ordered a refurb 8GB model from the Apple store. Thanks!