A fair warning...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Majik, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Majik

Majik New Member

The other day i decided to try the application, "FontSwap". I thought it would be nice to have some different fonts, as it gets a bit dull seeing the same type of text all the time, but it ends up, this wasn't a very good idea. I opened up installer and continued to navigate to the application, and began to install it. A message popped up saying, basically, "Don't try to install your own fonts, you will get the spinning wheel of death!" So, i was obviously not stupid enough to do that, even though, it seems that even not adding your own fonts, this application is truly dangerous.
    Here's what happened, i pressed the home button, let SpringBoard restart, and unlocked my ipod. I opened up my new "FontSwap" Application and started changing the fonts. I changed it once and restarted SpringBoard once again... nothing happened. i tried changing it again, this time, sadly, I saw the spinning wheel and figured that it was just loading, so i went ahead and got some dinner. After about 20 minutes i came back, and what was there ? The spinning wheel. I waited about 30 more minutes, and after that decided it was long enough. I tried restarts, i tried to access it through WinSCP and remove it, none of those things worked. I plugged my ipod into my computer while it was stuck on the spinning wheel, and my iTunes gave me the message, "iTunes could not gain access to The Black Box (my ipod's name) because a password is set. Please enter your password on the ipod to continue with the sync." Unfortunately, i couldn't do that so what i had to do was put my ipod in recovery mode, then completely wipe it out with a 1.1.1 restore file.
    So, to anyone thinking about getting FontSwap, go ahead and do it if you dont mind losing ALL of your music, ALL of your apps, and ALL of your settings. All i can say is, at least mines still working.

Note: For anyone that this has happened to, this is how to fix it. (you will lose your music/apps etc.)

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2790
  2. itouchyoutwice

itouchyoutwice New Member

nice job taking one for the team.
  3. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mine works just fine running 1.1.1

I've changed the font loads of times, that sukcs it happened to you.
  4. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    mine works perfectly.
    im on 1.1.2 and i heard a lot of complaints about this app so just backed up my apps and installed it just incase.
    luckily no problems.
    sorry about your luck budd.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have a SWoD partly because of my stupidity, and partly because the app would restart my springboard properly. I have file access, and I'm trying to find a way to solve my problem without restoring.
  6. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for he heads up.

Off topic, were you Majik from the magicworld forums?