A couple of questions regarding SMS on an iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by Jin666, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Jin666

Jin666 New Member

Hey guys,

I'll be receiving my iPod Touch next weekend and I can't wait to get it Jailbroken.

Please Register or Log in to view images

After some decision making, I think it's best to just stick on 1.1.1 JB for the time being.

My questions relate to SMS on the iPod Touch. As a soon to be owner, I'm a bit confused over how it will all work, so if someone has the time and patience to guide me through, it'll be appreciated.

I would like to be able to send (and hopefully receive) free text messages through my iPod Touch. Obviously I'll need to be within a Wifi area but that's not a problem.

I should also state that I live in the UK, so any suggestions will have to work here!

* I will be installing the iPhone apps onto my iPod Touch, and setting up the email client to work with my Gmail account. Will it be possible to send and receive free emails through this app?

* I know there are a number of free SMS senders on the net (cbfsms.com), but I would prefer to stick to an app if possible.

* Finally, I have heard of one app, named SkySMS. I have no idea how I would set this up with some kind of FREE account to send and receive a number of texts, but this option would probably be best if possible, as it allows texts to be send and read in a stand alone app (any suggestions as to which one?) on the Touch. That would look cool!

So, thanks for reading my essay

above there, hope you can advise me in some way, hopefully with the final option.

Cheers
  2. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just sign in to tybyim.com and go to new im. If the number is a us number, send an Im to +1(area code)(number), no dashes. You will be able to have a full conversation as if you were iming, while the other person will get SMS messages with you text in them.
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

whats ur prob???
  4. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My bad - my instructions apply to the us only. After rereading your post, I realized you live in the uk. The only thing that should have to change is the country code. +1 is for the us, so you would simply replace that with the uk country code. The phone number would also have to be in uk format (obviously, that should be no problem for you.). Good luck, and hope your jailbreak goes smoothly!
  5. jagarbosse

jagarbosse New Member

Well, maybe this should be in the ide'a-s section? =) I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to make an app like mail, but handles sms-type messages via an online db?

I'm getting the feeling that you soon won't be needing an iPhone, since the iPod Touch almost has everything.

example:

register on webpage(or via app, which would be awesome)."only takes 1 millisec"( like all other registrations)

then you just enter the username of the other user, and enter text, press send, and voila! A little red ballon appears on my touch when it's recieved.
  6. beno

beno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you had a mail app that refreshed every ten seconds you could use that since you can send sms messages through email.
  7. Jin666

Jin666 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Actually, I wasn't posting this as a suggestion, but rather as a question, to see if anything of this nature currently exists!

But I'm quite happy for this to be posted elsewhere if it's a good enough idea!

Cheers

8. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are many ways to send text messages. You can do it through the mail application-- thats what I use. Or you could use a website. I think there is one like sms.dyndel.com or something like that. Or you could just use iphone.beejive.com and add a buddy and put a + before there phone number. It all depends on what you like