A couple of noob unlocking questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deadhead85, Jun 21, 2010.

1. deadhead85

deadhead85 New Member

Hello.

I have an iPhone 3GS MC model running 3.1.3. I currently live in Korea but plan to travel to the United States for a month.

Can I unlock this model?
    If I can, after I unlock it, what do I need to do? I tried to Google this, but I am still a little unsure as o what unlocking a phone actually does.
    Do I get a prepaid sim card from a US carrier?

I think the problem is that I am unclear about what unlocking a phone does. Any help for this lost noob would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unlocking lets you use any sim card with the phone. There is currently no unlock for 3.1.3 but one should come out soon
  3. FixYaFace

FixYaFace New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    One quick question here to. After i unlock can i still use at&t ( I would assume yes). I still have about a months worth of service with them...but i want to do the unlock asap. Any help would be appreciated.
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah the unlock just opens it up to any carrier so AT&T will be fine. You don't really need to unlock until your AT&T runs out but it wont hurt it if you do

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. FixYaFace

FixYaFace New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks. I've got one more question. I've read there r some problems with the unlock. If it is uninstalled from cydia is the unlock taken away?