A couple of newbie questions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by phsopher, Jun 19, 2010.

1. phsopher

phsopher New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi, I just bought myself one of these iPod touch things everyone is going on about and I have a few beginner's questions.

1. My iPod doesn't seem to remember what was playing after a reboot. If I listen to music on the way to work, shut it down and then switch it on on the way home it seems to forget what I was listening to. My previous player was Creative and it was really handy that I didn't even have to take it out of the pocket; it would just resume from where I left off. Is there a way to fix this? (I know you can edit tracks in iTunes so that it resumes from where you left off but what about playlist information?)

2. Failing to fix the above, how much power does the iTouch consume when in sleep mode (the idea being that I would leave it in sleep mode for the 8 hours I'm at work instead of powering it off)?

3. I got the impression from reading threads that you can close apps by holding down the home button for 5 secs but for me it goes to the voice commands instead. What's up with that? (I have 3G 3.1.3 by the way)

4. Is there a way to remap the buttons? For example if I hold the middle button on the remote (on the earphones) it goes to voice commands but I don't really need them so is there a way to change the function to something more useful? Like powering off the device so that I don't have to take it out of your pocket. Is there a Cydia app that could do that or something?
  2. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm not to sure of your first problem. In sleep mode, the iPod uses hardly any battery whatsoever. Maybe in those 8 hours it would drop maybe only 2% or less. For closing apps you just tap the home button once. And you may be able to remap some functions of the buttons in a cydia addon called Activator.
  3. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    When you shut it down when going to work, you are actually using more battery than you would if you just leave it on sleep mode for 8 hours. The processes that it has to run to boot up and shut down use a lot of battery, you know.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    1. I don't think there is a way to do that, and all iPods don't remember what was playing after a re-boot (This includes other iPods such as the iPod Nano, and Classic.

2. The iPod is designed to be left in sleep mode for long periods of time. It actually uses more power booting up, then it does leaving it in sleep mode. This is because it has to load all the Launch Deamons, etc.

3. You only need to TAP the Home Button once to close apps.

4. Haven't heard of anything like that, but there may be one out there.
  5. phsopher

phsopher New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, I realise that you get out of applications by pressing home but it was my understanding that some remain running in the background and that you could close them permanently by holding home for five seconds. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Anyway, I wasn't able to remap the middle button on the remote with Activator but I did manage to assign the shut down function to a combination of volume buttons so I can still do it from the remote.

Thanks for the info guys.
  6. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Do you have SBSettings? It allows you to kill any Apps that may still be running.
    It's also very convenient for many other things as well.
  7. phsopher

phsopher New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I do and I'm happy with that. It's not really a feature I need, I was just curious why it didn't work for me. Maybe it only works forks for 2G models since they don't have voice control.
  8. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Oh! I know what you are talking about with the 5 seconds thing. You have to press and hold the power button until the "Slide to Power Off" thing comes up. Let go of the power button, and THEN press and hold the home button for 5 seconds.
  9. phsopher

phsopher New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That worked, thanks.