A Cheap Fix to a Broken Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PurpleRa1n, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Unfortunately the headphone jack to my IPT1G is broken and since there aren't external speakers build into this model, I have no method of listening to music. I'm also without a warranty through Apple. I think many people have this problem too, so I decided to post my quick, under $20 solution that is tested and works with the iPod Touch 1G, iPod Nano 4G, and I would imagine that it would work with any iPod that has a dock connector.

Okay so here's what you need to get/buy, and No, we are not opening the ipod, this is an EXTERNAL fix:

1) A 3.5mm AV Adapter made for dock adapters on iPods

I used this one from Deal Extreme

Please Register or Log in to view images

It can be found here

2) A 3.5mm Volume Control for headphones

Please Register or Log in to view images

This can be found here

After obtaining these parts, just plug the dock connector into the ipod and the the volume control into the dock connector. If your ipod touch (1g) is running 3.0 software the only way you can control volume is through the volume control cable. I have not tried this on an ipod touch 2g, but it works GREAT on the ipod touch 1g.

That's it! These were the EXACT parts I'm using. Any questions or problems, PM me. I hope this helps someone because it took me forever to figure out what I was going to do to fix this problem on my iPod.
  2. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Haha, I been using the Radio Remote accessory on my Nano 3G for a while. I just ordered Nano 4G yesterday morning though...
  3. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah unfortunately that doesn't work on the ipod touch =[

I'm happy with this fix though. It cost me like $14.
  4. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    actually I just tried it but it gives a not supported error but if you plug it in while it off you can use it. You just can't change songs only the volume.
  5. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    same thing for this, but you don't have to wait for playback. it works like immediately after it's plugged in